Requesting a code review

ic is short for icecream: Never use print() to debug again
link: GitHub - gruns/icecream: 🍦 Never use print() to debug again.

So now we are talking about my algorithm, so I created a plan for you to choose from. No matter what you choose. Thank you. Really, thank you @cameron

Plan A
I will try to apply the things I learned from the discussions and rewrite the code. which I assume will take weeks or months.

Plan B
I will use icecream to explain the algorithm of the calculator in an implicit way? mix with comments to try to be explicit.

Plan C
I really do respect you and am grateful for all the wisdom you shared with me, but I feel like I bothered you for far too long. I really respect and understand if we were going to end it here.

ic is short for icecream: Never use print() to debug again
link: GitHub - gruns/icecream: 🍦 Never use print() to debug again.

Ah, ok.

So now we are talking about my algorithm, so I created a plan for you
to choose from. No matter what you choose. Thank you. Really, thank you
@cameron

Plan A
I will try to apply the things I learned from the discussions and rewrite the code. which I assume will take weeks or months.

I vote for Plan A.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

1 Like

Okay, while I’m doing that, I will try to learn C along the way. I hope to talk to you again in the future! @cameron

1 Like

@cameron

So I made a little progress, and now I’m starting to try to apply what I learned in this discussion, but I have one question.

What do you mean by “another change”?

Do you mean I should add nested brackets like your example (3.0 * (4 + 7))?

I assume you didn’t run my code for security reasons. And I understand that, but my basic calculator algorithm is correct math-wise from my perspective because I tested it several times.

So I made a little progress, and now I’m starting to try to apply what
I learned in this discussion, but I have one question.

What do you mean by “another change”?

I meant this:

The change I’m thinking of suggesting is to progressively reduce the
expression until there is a single number left, or a syntax error (no
matches). If you do that you don’t need to count brackets or anything -
just consume them in their innermost pairs until you can’t.

So your order of evaluation precedence is something like:

• ( number op number )
  • number * number
  • number / number
  • number + number
  • number - number

Do you mean I should add nested brackets like your example (3.0 * (4 + 7))?

No, i meant to treat the task as a symbol manipulation problem, not a
“math” problem. Which you’re kind of doing already. But by selecting the
“most tightly bound” expressions from the entire string, one at a
time, you can reduce the string in steps. At the end you either have a
result, or you have a syntax error. And you don’t need to write very
complex regexps to do it.

I assume you didn’t run my code for security reasons.

You code seemed benign - that wasn’t it. I was just looking at it
semanticly instead of “running” it.

And I understand that, but my basic calculator algorithm is correct
math-wise from my perspective because I tested it several times.

The operations are. I was less convinced that the high level precedence
(MDAS) stuff was, because of the way your regexp tests were written.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

1 Like

@cameron

I will try to change the algorithm without using regex.

That is what my algorithm does, e.g., 47 + 478 * 7, which will get the second priority in this case, 478 * 7. Then it will calculate it, which equals 3346. The last step is to replace the string with the result, which is equal to 47 + 3346, then repeat. The result is 3393.

But. Yeah, I can solve this without using regex, which I originally used with arrays when I tried to create the algorithm; that’s why I said I couldn’t remember how many times I changed the algorithm, and it feels like it was a month before I used regex. Probably because I did not try using while loops to calculate each one one by one, this may be the reason I have had a lot of problems in the past.

The usual method of parsing expressions, and programming languages in general, is by “recursive descent”. Even regexes are parsed by recursive descent.

1 Like

That seems too complex for me. I’m just going to try to use arrays or lists to solve my problem. But thank you @MRAB for the information. much appriciated.

@cameron
Just an update: I’ve already done, if not almost done, the calculator algorithm without using regex. I just have to clean it up. but I’m not going to post it yet! I still want to apply what I learned here to my whole code, but I can’t wait to post it and learn more!

Good to hear! - Cameron