Reviving the "hybrid keyword-arrow syntax" for callables

That seems like a reasonable list of requirements.

Might I also add to the list the ability to use the notation in-line in an annotation? In past discussions it has come up repeatedly that we need an inline form (like Callable is, but with all of the above options). Yes, if it becomes unreadable through nesting, by all means use a type alias or one of the more verbose alternatives (Protocol or a dummy function def), but if that’s the only way, we have not solved the problem.

2 Likes

Would it be reasonable to use the soft-keyword nature of type to allow type def (...) (Where ... is an expression of parameters) to remove ambiguity of certain symbols in a general context? If so, is that possible to do inline without creating issues of parsing? it seems so to me, but I think this increases the complexity of parsing, and I’m not sure if it’s the best way here, however this could allow:

without the concerns of < > also being operators.

I’m not sure I agree, but I would definitely prefer if the goal was inline use first, and only drop down to an improvement on ergonomics of an alias if we can’t come up with something unambiguous when inline.

1 Like

or it could just mirror normal function declaration entirely like that, minus the name…

So, there seems to be some support here for a syntax with a keyword (which can be used to bind type vars to). I agree that Fn would be a nice keyword, but it would have to be a soft keyword, and as I understand it, soft keywords aren’t feasible in expressions. This only leaves def (or perhaps lambda, but that seems even more confusing).

The other question is what to do with other types which expect a signature (i.e., those with ParamSpec):

from typing import Callable

class CallableWithFlag[**P]:
    def __init__(self, func: Callable[P, None]):
        self.func = func
        self.flag: bool = False

def __call__(self, *args: P.args, **kwargs: P.kwargs) -> None:
        self.flag = True
        return self.func(*args, **kwargs)

def f(c: CallableWithFlag[[int, int]]) -> None:
    c(1, 2)
    assert c.flag

It would be nice if we could write something like

CallableWithFlag[def(x: int, *, y: str = "foo")]

which currently cannot be expressed at all.

But it would be quite disappointing if Callable still had to be written like this:

type MyFunc = Callable[def(x: int, *, y: str = "foo"), None]

instead of something like this:

type MyFunc = def(x: int, *, y: str = "foo") -> None

But it’s also weird to have two different syntaxes?

Could we define a new special method that gets called if you write this?

from typing import Callable as Fn
Fn(...) -> ...
Fn.__<something>__(def(...) -> ...)

Or should we reuse __class_getitem__()?

from typing import Callable as Fn
Fn(...) -> ...
Fn[def(...) -> ...]
Fn.__class_getitem__(def(...) -> ...)

But as @MegaIng pointed out, this could get quite unreadable.

It’s feasible for the new PEG parser, because of the -> but imo it’s a bad idea for human parsers. Seeing Fn(...) in an expression will make people assume it’s a function call. It also further complicates highlighting of code (match and case can somewhat easily be identified by noticing the: at the end of the line for example)

I think angular brackets <> are our best bet for something visually distinctive from both function calls and scalar generic parameterization. It also should be fairly easy to parse[1], because < at the start of an expression should always be distinguishable from an operator, since a binary operator cannot start an expression[2], I don’t even think we need to leverage the PEG parser to make this happen.

The main argument against using angular brackets imho, would be that they’re a powerful tool we haven’t yet used and they could potentially be used for a generally more expressive typing grammar, rather than limiting ourselves to parameter types, so by using them prematurely we’re potentially closing off other promising avenues.

We could allow both a parameter list and a full signature, the latter of which would be equivalent to Callable.

foo: MyCallable[<x: int, *, y: str = "foo">, None]
bar: <(x: int, *, y: str = "foo") -> None>  # same as Callable[<...>, None]

We potentially could prefix the angular bracket with something like the proposed “Fn”, although at that point it would once again be difficult to distinguish from the operator.

1. for humans as well as machines ↩︎

2. Just like it is easy to distinguish between unary - for negation and binary - for subtraction ↩︎

And Fn{}? That’s also unused.

AFAIK nowhere else in Python are < and > paired up – and in this case, not even paired in an intuitive way since there is going to be an intervening > that does not end the pair! I don’t think there’s any other case where a character is sometimes standalone and sometimes paired up based on surrounding context? I hope this isn’t chosen as it looks ugly to me.

4 Likes

This would solve a number of the problems that happen in complex terms by making the delimiters explicit, but my prior is that getting a PEP approved using < / > is pretty unlikely.

It doesn’t “feel” very pythonic at least to me even if it has clear advantages (which I agree it does), and my instinct is that it’s tough to get buy-in for syntax that doesn’t feel pythonic.

It also doesn’t give us a place to bind a type variable, which I would find a little disappointing (although that would be easy enough to add, e.g. something like <[T](x: T) -> T>).

rustc’s parser and Rust in general (maybe other languages too) suffer from this problem too. The workaround is not pretty.