Seeking a consensus about the purpose and future of `pyproject.toml`

I’ll try to phrase this as nicely as I can, but: it seems to me that you are breaking a few norms with your activity. It looks like you’re genuinely trying to help and have a lot of energy for improving Python packaging - but you are lacking a lot of context, and your many replies and threads are eating up a ton of energy from many of the most active/senior devs across the packaging landscape.

The vast majority of contributors to discussions here are maintainers of packaging tools, or develop open source projects in which they run into limitations of current packaging tools and standards. And as a result, the come to this forum to discuss or, typically after exploring solutions elsewhere, even to draft and discuss a PEP. In contrast, this forum is not much like a regular open source project, where you show up as a newcomer without much context and try to push something forward.

I’d encourage you to work on some kind of packaging tool - even starting with simply contributing bug fixes to your tool of preference, and expanding your scope from there once your understanding of the project and how to contribute to it increases - and spending no more than ~10% of the time you invest in Python packaging as a whole on interactions on this forum.

19 Likes