Stop Allowing deleting things from PyPI?

Indeed, affected. I’m bemused by this bit:

Our intent was to remove a deprecated, rarely-used package from active support.
As this package was unmaintained and limited in use, there are no plans for the codecov package in PyPi to be made functional again.

The codecov package wasn’t “rarely-used package” or “limited in use”, it was downloaded 1.3 million times according to https://pepy.tech/project/Codecov , which places it in the top 1% (maybe top 0.5%) and I expect enough for PyPI to designate it as a “critical project” requiring 2FA for maintainers.

Like others in the Discourse @dustin pointed to, we were not using this directly in a GitHub action - apparently the assumption is it was only used in one way - we were using it in AppVeyor (launched through github). Never saw anything suggesting this was going away. As I said before, I don’t want to gripe specifically about this specific event, despite being irritated by it. This thread started out proposing that something (later modified to “something heavily used”) shouldn’t be able to be completely removed, obviously we’re not there.

Clearly this one was handled badly. So the question again is: should the owner of a package decide they want to remove it, for reasons that are sure to seem very compelling to them, do we have guidance (and a way to get that guidance in front of people) on how to proceed in going away in a manner that isn’t quite as disruptive?