Straw poll: Which governance proposals do you like best?

I’m not comfortable with Barry’s PEP 8010 Technical Leader. It would be very hard for someone to have the same authority than Guido van Rossum who wrote Python. These days, any Python change became very controversial, and it’s harder everyday to deal with the negativity on the Internet. Multiple core developers had burnouts for example.

Last years, I also saw Guido as a bottleneck for Python changes. Some people may like to reduce changes to make Python more stable, but here it’s not a deliberate choice, but just a bottleneck issue. I would prefer to redistribute responsibilities to scale better horizontally. Well, the PEP 8010 replaces 1 people (Guido) with 4 people (leader + council), but I’m not sure that it’s enough. Some people can be unavailable for an unknown duration and don’t know anything about a topic. It’s hard to know everything in Python, Python became so big and diverse in term of use cases and features!

Mariatta’s and Barry’s PEP 8011 proposes Working Groups which are very similar to Python Teams that I propose in my PEP 8015 and Experts of PEP 8012. Sadly, I’m unable to explain exactly why, but I don’t buy the whole PEP 8011 :frowning: (well, let’s say that it’s not my favorite, sorry)

For the Steve’s PEP 8013, sadly, I’m blocked early by the fact that core developers cannot be part of the council… Again, I would prefer to rely more on existing Python Teams.

Jack’s PEP 8014 is not very different from PEP 8011, 8012, 8015 and 8016, but it under-specify many things, especially the council roles (IMHO it is at the top of the hierarchy, but Jack says that it’s no, well). I would prefer to rely more on existing Python Teams / experts.

I also dislike that everyone can vote on PEPs. I fear that the vote might become a popularity vote. In my experience, some people quickly have a strong opinion, even if they don’t understand the PEP and it’s hard to make them change their mind. This is especially true for very technical changes like asynchronous generators (PEP 525). Voting on a PEP requires to deeply jump into the PEP and really understand it. I fear that many people will vote without understanding the PEP.

I chose Lukasz’s PEP 8012, my PEP 8015 and Nathaniel’s and Donald’s PEP 8016 (without preference order). While they are many differences between these PEPs, the main structure of the decision process is very similar. Mariatta’s and Barry’s PEP 8011 would be my 4th choice, but I chose to only select 3 PEP.

1 Like