The 10+ year view on Python packaging (what's yours?)

[Thanks for the follow-up answers on my post. I do not want to discuss here whether or not it is feasible or how it would look like technically and in terms of UX or why it is the way it is now, I’d rather we do it on a dedicated thread if we really feel like discussing this now. But I still want to add to it…]

I guess my wish in the long term is that Python packaging stops being just about Python. And my intent is not to single out Python, I wish the same from other packaging ecosystems as well. For example I have things installed with Node.js npm and Ruby gem, that are not kept up-to-date because my operating system does not tell me that there are updates available. These are applications that are not available in apt repositories (or flatpak or appimage or snap as far as I can tell). So in the case of Python, I wish in the long term that the packaging story would not stop at “it is installable with pip, our work is done” (tongue in cheek).

That things like purl are being worked is exciting to me. I am also glad there is something like PackagingCon.

3 Likes