Three month suspension for a Core Developer

Personally, I support and respect the recommendation by PSF CoC WG and the decision taken by the SC. I just want to say thanks to the SC and PSF CoC WG for investigating this matter thoroughly. I know this is not an easy decision.

PEP 13 says that the SC has the authority to enforce the CoC of the project, and so I trust that the SC are acting appropriately here.

look very closely at how to handle discussions that are getting out of hand, so that problems like this can be addressed before individual behaviour becomes problematic.

From what I’ve seen on Discourse, this has been done, and this is why we are on Discourse: for its moderation tools. I.e community members have flagged things for moderators and PSF CoC WG, and the team responded (for example by setting the slow mode, or by locking threads).

It is also my understanding that the SC did speak privately with the person prior to the suspension, so opportunities were given to people to adjust their behavior in this space.

I think the issue here is that some folks disagree with what is considered as acceptable behavior in this space. And I think this is why the PSF CoC WG exists: they investigate complaints, and make decisions on whether the complaint is valid or not.
The way they handle reports and make decisions are documented here.

The CoC WG members do investigate, evaluate, and vote on reports. They don’t go straight to banning people just because there is a report. “Doing nothing” is one of the possible outcomes after receiving a report/complaint: if the CoC WG don’t agree that there is any conduct violation, the report is dismissed.

that feedback itself cannot be used as justification for suspending someone, only as a trigger to investigate and find objective based evidence.

Yes, and I trust that the CoC did follow all the steps mentioned in the Enforcement Procedure doc, including investigating whether the behavior is acceptable and is within the PSF’s CoC or not, and take further actions based on that. Do you have reasons to believe that such investigation was not done? In my mind the fact that the post by SC tabove ook about a month after all the activities mentioned in the list took place means that they did take the time to investigate.

16 Likes