Too late to start?

Hello,

I have studiet IT on high school for 4 years, after high school i joined military. Now im 26 and im trying come back to programing, because im thinking about to change my job. I like IT and im having fun sitting at PC and creating something. i bought Udemy courses and im happy about my progress. Do you think that companies will be negative about my late career ? Im not going to apply for a job now, but after few months or years of self learning. Thanks :slight_smile:

Start with everything you see on the internet. Just eat and digest the code on daily basis. Hope you will be back to IT one day and yes there is big scope for jobs in IT sector.

I’m 47 years old and just getting into it. I literally have headaches everyday trying to wrap my head around the gibberish I’m trying to decipher. I’m taking online courses in my free time and found them useful for showing me the HOW of doing something but not the WHY to explain the reason it was arranged that way or why they used brackets instead of parenthesis in the print function.

If you live for that “AHA” moment when you solve the problem and it works, I really don’t think you are ever too old to start anything.

I don’t expect to be able to compete with professionals in the business for 30 years but I imagine I can pull enough side jobs from Upwork or something similar to get the experience built up.

By Brad Westermann via Discussions on Python.org at 14Jun2022 18:34:

I’m 47 years old and just getting into it. I literally have headaches
everyday trying to wrap my head around the gibberish I’m trying to
decipher. I’m taking online courses in my free time and found them
useful for showing me the HOW of doing something but not the WHY to
explain the reason it was arranged that way or why they used brackets
instead of parenthesis in the print function.

You can always ask here. Distinct threads/topics per question please.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

Hi Brad. Here’s a thread with a very similar topic to your post. I’ve been programming since the late 70’s but picked up Python relatively recently. Have been meaning to share the better online tutorial and basic reference resources I’ve found and will list them there when I get a chance.

Hey Brad. Welcome to the club ! I am 43 and just started on Python. Non-technical background. Feel free to reach out if you want to share learning experiences. Have a good day.