Towards a `pip audit` subcommand for vulnerability analysis & management

That precisely aligns with my feelings here.

There’s not so much a clear definition of pip’s scope, as an extremely limited pool of resource, which is all volunteer, and we need to be extremely careful to (a) not demand people commit time they don’t have, or don’t want to commit, and (b) support people working on what interests them, as that improves motivation and retains people. (a) is why we’re reluctant to add new features when asked, but (b) is why we do so anyway :wink:

I have reservations here, as I don’t think it would be healthy to have pip maintainers who are only interested in one feature, and don’t feel responsible for pip as a whole. I’m also uncomfortable with the “offer a maintainer to get a feature” feel of this. On the other hand, if the pip-audit maintainers wanted to become pip maintainers in general, and were willing to be responsible for the pip audit command as simply one part of being a pip maintainer, then that would be a different matter - we really could do with more people. (I’d be very surprised if @dustin in particular had the bandwidth to become a pip commiter, though!)