Towards a `pip audit` subcommand for vulnerability analysis & management

Thanks for the links. One comment I note from the 3rd issue (warning: this is taken from a different context, please don’t assume it’s directly related to this thread without understanding the context!)

Given there’s a server side and a client side here, and IMO we should have this standardized, we probably should at a minimum discuss this on distutils-sig, if not produce a PEP for it.

I think this is a good point, and as has been mentioned here already we should probably start here by standardising the API for getting the vulnerability data. There are a lot of other good points in that discussion around mirrors, and who can give authoritative answers on what files have vulnerabilities, which we should probably consider too.

For example, I note that the PyPI JSON API has “vulnerabilities” as a key at the project level. Surely vulnerabilities should be flagged at release level at a minimum, if not at file level? Consider the example from that 3rd pip issue - if a company mirrors PyPI on its local index, and adds a wheel for a project that fixes a known vulnerability that upstream hasn’t dealt with yet - surely an audit should report that the project is safe if the build uses that local wheel, but not if it uses the upstream code?

That’s the sort of issue we should be discussing and resolving in a PEP for exposing vulnerability data.

2 Likes