Underlined links

I happened to be using a less than ideal monitor whilst browsing this forum yesterday, and I realized it’s quite difficult to tell links apart from regular text in post bodies. I’m not exactly an accessibility expert, but I do recall underlining links often being promoted as a good idea in the name of including colorblind users, so I’m wondering if there’s appetite for making that happen here.

Happy to figure out what actually needs to be done (aka try my hand at some CSS magic) if someone with relevant superpowers is willing to put it in place.

Additionally, this thread seems to be hitting on a related issue but with a different proposed approach that I don’t think would be sufficient.

Thanks for reading!

4 Likes

Great point! Looks like @admins can add custom CSS, and it should be mostly a matter of just adding something like:

a {
  text-decoration: underline; 
}
3 Likes

Shall we add it and try it out for a bit?

We should check how the underline works in links with underlines such as PYTHON_FROZEN_MODULES and if necessary, add some offset:

a {
  text-decoration: underline;
  text-underline-offset: 0.3em;
}

Quick test, just underline:

With 0.3em offset:

4 Likes

FYI, per our discussion in another thread, Brett Canno applied a modified and refined version of the CSS above to add link underlining to body paragraph links with a slight offset, as well as increase contrast on the link color.

2 Likes