User experience with porting off setup.py

One of the problems with consensus-based decision making (or, in fact, any sort of decision making!) is that sometimes the decision isn’t the one you want. At that point you have a choice between accepting and supporting the decision, trying to make it work in spite of your reservations, or simply repeating your assertion that the decision was wrong, in the hope of being able to say “I told you so” at some point…

Would you be so quick to say this if the council supported the current view on how the documentation is structured?

For that matter, the committers for packaging.python.org are, in effect, the council for that site. So you’re basically just suggesting that a different decision making body would be better. Why, exactly?

I don’t particularly like your PR, because it promotes hatchling, which isn’t particularly my preferred backend. And I don’t think it’s a particular improvement over what’s there already. But it’s not my choice to make, ultimately, it’s up to the documentation maintainers (or maybe a future council, if they have the authority to overrule a project’s maintainers).

7 Likes