What is the status on a pip lock file?

Yes, see Add `pip install --dry-run` or similar, to get resolution result · Issue #53 · pypa/pip · GitHub

If implemented as a separate command (i.e. pip resolve instead of pip install --dry-run), this can be done even before --use-deprecated=legacy-resolver is dropped because the two wouldn’t overlap. But someone needs to actually put in the effort to make the command happen, and everyone seems to be focusing on other things right now. Either we wait for someone to put up volunteer work, or have to put up a plan to recruit someone to do it.

This is less obvious. Commenting as a pipenv maintainer, the current lock file format is likely too limiting to be useful for pip. It at least needs to grow more flexible grouping strategy. And as a pip maintainer, the benefit to pip resolve using a new lock file format is also not significant enough over requirements.txt.

Speaking for myself only, I would like to revive my Structured, Exchangeable lock file format design for this. It is now clear the new format will not happen as a standard because it’s not viable to design something that fits all tools’ needs, but the format will be an improvement to both requirement.txt and Pipfile.lock, and interoperability would be less of a problem with PEP 650. But again, the improvements may not be significant enough to convince pip maintainers as a team to adopt the new format, and status quo may win because it is already implemented and wildly used (even though poorly designed, ill specified, and has weird implementation edge cases).

4 Likes