Why I'm leaving discuss.python.org

Correct.

I think the mods see something.

If I’m remembering correctly you have to confirm a deletion via a second modal.

I don’t want to wade into legal stuff, but there may be a situation where we have to. People are obviously welcome to make backups of the site if they want a more complete record than the PSF keeps.

I personally don’t consider that a bad thing. One of those types of comment can be hurtful while the other isn’t. I think you should always put more effort into your words if they can cause harm for someone else.

Correct, but there’s a difference between constructive criticism and being rude in how you deliver your criticism.

I don’t know of any CoC enforcement that doesn’t have some form of privacy which means not everything is shared on purpose.

Correct. I personally don’t do moderation on weekends to avoid a bad interaction ruining my days off and my time w/ my family because they don’t deserve having me in a foul mood for dealing w/ some mean person. I suspect other moderators are the same as this volunteer position that attracts way more negativity and vitriol than appreciation.

That, and what I’m allowed to share.

Why do you think that? My membership is public and I’ve personally confirmed I’m a member multiple times.

If the mods disagree w/ a flag that then gets recorded and if that occurs too much that is also flagged.

I’m not on the SC anymore; I didn’t run for the 2024 council after serving 5 years consecutively.

To try and bring this back around to the topic, if people have specific suggestion on how to moderate within Discourse to enforce the PSF CoC, please make those suggestions, but moving off of Discourse or not enforcing the PSF CoC is off the table (you are obviously welcome to establish your own space if you don’t want those things; the internet is a big place with plenty of space).

As examples:

• Moderators shouldn’t edit posts, only hide them
  • Moderators can edit posts to make them pass the CoC w/o meaningfully changing their meaning if they leave an explicit note an edit was made
  • Keep doing what you’re doing

…, etc. And a key thing is it needs to be in line w/ what’s feasible w/ what Discourse can do, so you may have to do some homework, otherwise you might accidentally by requesting a :unicorn: feature that’s not possible or no one is willing to put in the work to code up.

9 Likes