Windows 7 support for Python 3.9 or 3.10, without a fork

Where did you read that figure? The page Desktop Windows Version Market Share Worldwide | Statcounter Global Stats says 12% (of Windows machines).

Where did you read that figure?

Here we can see Windows 7 still has ~ 19% market share among all OS in Feb 2022, this is 21% if we compare among all Windows versions.

One big reason might be that many people don’t want an OS with advertisement and news included in the start menu, telemetry, and more generally don’t like the idea of having the OS doing HTTP requests to various unknown servers all day without any control on this.

If only Microsoft could release a lightweight de-bloated version of Win10/Win11, that does zero networking request when we don’t ask any (for example when we open the start menu, we don’t want any request to Bing or weather forecast servers to be done), it would be an excellent OS for the next 10 years, like was Windows 7.
(I spoke about networking requests, but we could give many other examples)

In the meantime it would be great to support Windows 7, but I also understand all the reasons given by the contributors.

Windows Server is as close as you’ll get to this, though it’s very close.

A bit harder to get set up to be user friendly, but that’s kind of the point - it’s meant for people who care enough to do that setup themselves.

I built some unofficial installers for Python 3.9 and 3.10 that work on Windows 7. The approach I took was to modify the installer to proceed on Windows 7 and to provide the file api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll from nalexandru/api-ms-win-core-path-HACK.

Check it out at GitHub - adang1345/PythonWin7: Python 3.9 and 3.10 installers that support Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 if you’re interested.

7 Likes

Thank you very much! You literally save my decision from switching from 7 to 10 just to use Python!

Will keep following your Github and hope you keep updating it!