WIP Package manager using __pypackages__ and pyproject.toml

This is quite interesting! I really love the doesn’t run on Python and easy to distribute approach :smiley: I also made a Rust-based POC, but had stalled it for a while due to my lack of free time.

Some initial thoughts:

• Ad-hoc Windows binary build is quite difficult, especially for 3.6 or earlier. You might find Victor Stinner’s notes useful, but TBH it really is not a good idea to expect user to install e.g. Visual Studio 2015 just for building 3.5 and 3.6. (2.7 and 3.4 are even more pain, but you can just decide to not support them.)
  • I am not really into the ad-hoc build approach as whole though, personally. It’d be more viable to build a common interface around known-to-be-good package sources. Official distributions on python.org already works out of the box for Windows and macOS, and are easily discoverable via registry (Windows) and the plist thing (macOS). For Ubuntu and Debian etc. you can use APT (with deadsnakes), and I believe there are similar repositories for RPM as well. My attempt for Windows.
  • pipenv run has hit quite a few edge cases along the way, and I’ve been re-thinking how it really should work. Maybe it’d be a better idea to parse and run the CLI entry points directly, instead of running binaries/scripts created by pip/setuptools. This might also handle an edge case I didn’t see mentioned: What would happen on pypackage run black if the project has multiple versions of Black installed?

BTW, I strongly object to checking package dependencies with semver. It works extremely well at a small scale, but will break horribly once your tool is widely-adopted—there are just too many Python projects out there not using semver (pytz comes to mind). I recommend sticking to standard version semantics.

Edit: Is there a reference or example of package.lock somewhere? Related topic: Structured, Exchangeable lock file format (requirements.txt 2.0?)