Beginner trying to learn python

(Fyi I’m 13 so have a very, very, low bar for me)
Hello, recently I got given some spare USB drives, and I found out you could make a bootable OS with it, long story short: finally working, and I now have Ubuntu on there.

After figuring out a few stuff on the Linux terminal I felt interested in programming (Was interested before this more then a year ago but that went nowhere) I use MacOS so I looked into the Mac terminal and it doesn’t really seem very useful for someone using their laptop mostly casually, (Doing casual stuff, for a uncasual amount of time) and I thought, if I’m going to use a laptop so much (6+ hours) I could learn something like programming.

So I decided to learn python, I have (mostly) used this video to learn some of the basics, but I’m pretty tired and haven’t finished the like last ~3 chapters, or at least understood them well, So that’s where I am now.

After i finish the video I don’t really know what to learn/how to learn anything yet, so please suggest something, thanks!
(Also, my dads job involves coding, and he uses python, so if I have any struggles I have help, so I doubt I’ll come here for help, so don’t expect to see me around that much)

After figuring out a few stuff on the Linux terminal I felt interested
in programming (Was interested before this more then a year ago but
that went nowhere) I use MacOS so I looked into the Mac terminal and it
doesn’t really seem very useful for someone using their laptop mostly
casually, (Doing casual stuff, for a uncasual amount of time) and I
thought, if I’m going to use a laptop so much (6+ hours) I could learn
something like programming.

Aye. I use a Mac, mostly do programming, and I practically live in the
terminal. I use iTerm in preference to the default presupplied terminal
application.

After i finish the video I don’t really know what to learn/how to learn
anything yet, so please suggest something, thanks!

I haven’t a specific suggestion except to pick something you want to
do - writing code for yourself and your wishes keeps you interested. And
start small for the first thing, whatever it is. Maybe something you
currently do tediously by hand, which you think you could write a script
to do.

1 Like

Could you give me some examples what you use the Terminal for please?

Most things. Email. Coding. A shell to run things. Reading this web forum (via email).

Here’s my terminal window right now:

It’s a full screen iterm window with 4 tabs. The current tab is split into 2 panes vertically, with an editor in the left pane and my email in the right, open to the “python” mail folder.

My usual coding setup is an editor on the left and a shell on the right which is what that screenshot is; I’ve just opened my mail reader (mutt) in the shell (that’s your message on the second line).

But I use the shell window for many things: test running programmes, email, running linters against my code (these check style and possible bugs), running whatever commands might need running to do… whatever. Remote connection to other machines to do things there, file manipulation (copies, moves etc).

1 Like