Brand new Python learner strugglingly

I just started in Python, working with ‘Python Crash Course’. Tried to run simplest code for bicycle list.
bicycle = ['trek ’ 'cannondale ’ 'redline ']
print(bicycle[0])
run
/python_working_lists.py
trek cannondale redline
Book says this should be
trek
What is keeping this from running correctly???

You need a comma between each element in the list.

When Python sees two strings next to each other without a comma, it concatenates them together, so what you get is the list bicycle = ['trek cannondale readline'] with one element

As per the above post.

For some very clear examples of that (as well as many more Python examples), you may find this to be of use:

What a silly mistake. And thanks so much for the quick reply. Well, I thought I copied it correctly.
Again, thanks

1 Like

It happens.

An alternative (and possibly more “human readable”) way of constructing a list object is like this:

bicycle = [
    "trek",
     "cannondale",
     "redline"
]

That way, the elements are easy to see and your code editor will (or should) indicate a syntax error, should you omit a comma.

Error correction: My thanks @cameron

Now there’s a thing: I can’t think why I thought it would (maybe from the Dictionary object syntax and my old head has its wires crossed) – I’ll “fact check” in future. :slight_smile:

It happens.

Aye. All the time.

An alternative (and possibly more “human readable”) way of constructing a list object is like this:

bicycle = [
   "trek",
    "cannondale",
    "redline"
]

That way, the elements are easy to see and your code editor will (or
should) indicate a syntax error, should you omit a comma.

Easier to read and easier to see mistakes. But it won’t provoke a syntax
error:

>>> bicycle = [
 ...     "trek",
 ...      "cannondale"
 ...      "redline"
 ... ]
 >>> bicycle
 ['trek', 'cannondaleredline']

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

1 Like