I have come across a few design decisions related to the wheel format which the PEP says nothing about but which are important to resolve.
- File timestamps: should we store them, or set them to the UNIX epoch (1970-01-01)?
- File permissions: should we store them or not? Some users say they need to flag scripts as executable.
- Should symbolic links be stored in wheels? A use case was given just now in wheel issue #400. There are open questions around RECORD handling and extraction on Windows.
My personal take on these is:
- I don’t think they are useful, and they interfere with repeatable builds.
- For PyPI uploads this is probably a no-no, but may have legitimate use cases elsewhere. This also means that wheels built from the same source would come out differently on Windows.
- I have no opinion on this.