Core lib support list or reference or specifications

hello
I am searching for official list of support of modules. One is core ones part of interpreter like in Modules directory There can be official way python maintainers or committee managing this list and updating it for releases. Just checking code may not be right way to get it or user documentation. Some examples are file operations or socket.
There are different libraries can be not part of intterpreter default like ssl I saw list of some library support which are about 200 for 3.x release and later about 20 librraries are removed from it. I lost track of that page though there must be same way published in single link of this list and related information for new version.
Might be few links can sufffice.

Not totally sure what you’re asking, but in Python 3.10+, you can get the set of all standard library modules in that version with sys.stdlib_module_names. Also, Victor Stinner’s site has a page that lists the stats and changes with this over time, derived from this.

1 Like

I could nott trace weblink which shows list of libraries supported which are about 200. The link that you gave does not have direct list of standard libraries. It does show removed and added libraries for specific version. I should explain what I am ttrying to do. I need to check these libraries and can be reference that if anything changed in any area can affect what libraries and how to make sure that libraries or core libraries and optional libraries does not have support broken.

You can find the full list in Python/stdlib_module_names.h in the source code, switching to the feature version branch(es) you’re interested in. If you need to get the list programatically, you can either parse this header file, or query the relevant Python runtime versions for sys.stdlib_module_names.

BTW, I’m currently slow-burn working on tooling that will provide this and much, much more when it comes to programmatic information about the Python language and stdlib, but it may not be out for a while.

What is the broader picture here? What do you want this list for? Are you in a company with picky compliance requirements?

I encountered a situation where I was searching for an official and comprehensive list of supported modules in Python. Specifically, I wanted to find a list that included both the core modules bundled with the Python interpreter and the additional libraries available through the Python Package Index (PyPI). Although I attempted to find this information by browsing through the Python documentation and exploring various online resources, I couldn’t locate a single, consolidated source that provided an up-to-date list for the latest Python version.

Why do you need this list? If we understood the purpose, we could provide some guidance.

As has been already described in this thread, the official list of all included standard library modules is available programmatically as sys.stdlib_module_names in the Python interpreter you’re targeting, which internally lives in Python/stdlib_module_names.h. Additionally, all formally documented top-level modules are listed in the the module index of the docs. As far as standard library modules are concerned, could you explain how this is insufficient for your use case?

As for third party packages on PyPI, by definition they are third party and thus not supported directly by the Python core team. You can get the full list of all PyPI packages by various methods, e.g. the Simple HTTP API, the old JSON API, the new JSON API, the BigQuery dataset, etc. See the API docs for more details and e.g. this previous thread for specifics.

My intention was to find a single, centralized source that encompasses both the standard library modules and the third-party packages supported by the Python community. However, I understand that the nature of third-party packages being external to the Python core team makes it challenging to have a unified and official list. I will make use of the available resources you shared to gather the information I need. Regards

First you’d have to define this :slight_smile:

This really smells like an XY problem, why not explain why you need this?

2 Likes

If you have this information, what problem will you be able to solve, that you cannot solve now?

Aside from that, what exactly do you mean by “supported by the Python community”? Everything that gets uploaded to PyPI is created by someone who writes code in Python; but it will vary from being constantly fixed to being abandoned for a decade or more, and it will vary from having millions of users to having none besides its author.