Definition/meaning of "bedevere" and "miss-islington"?

I don’t know where to ask this, but since it’s part of the dev cycle I’ll ask here. Who came up with the (meaningless to me) names “bedevere” and “miss-islington”? Are they Python-specific development bots or did they originate with GitHub? If they are Python-specific, have other open source projects picked them up for their workflow?

Either way, can some explanation of their origins and actions be added to the glossary or dev guide? (I saw references in the dev guide, but the search hits didn’t seem to be specifically meant to explain their raison d’être.)

1 Like

They’re both Python-specific and named after characters from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

python/bedevere says:

Since this bot is about identifying pull requests that need changes, it seemed fitting to name it after Sir Bedevere who knew how to identify a witch.

python/miss-islington says:

According to Wikipedia, Miss Islington is the name of the witch in the Monty Python and the Holy Grail sketch.

13 Likes

I’m quite fond of these names. Generally speaking things like this remove the monotony in life and make me happy.

9 Likes

We used to have The Knights Who Say “Ni”! who checked the CLA:

‘The Knights Who Say “Ni!”’ is a sketch from the film, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The knights prevent travelers from passing through their forest without a sacrifice (in the case of the film, they demand a shrubbery). Since Python is actually named after Monty Python, it seemed fitting to have the project named after something originating from Monty Python relating to someone preventing something from occurring without being given something (in the film it’s the knights requiring a shrubbery, in real life it’s lawyers requiring a signed CLA).

They’ve retired and been replaced by cla-bot, but it’d be fun to rename it :slight_smile:

3 Likes