Discourse not letting me log in on my phone

Continuing the discussion from Possible default extras/dependency categories?:

No – I put in the password (I think it’s the correct password anyway…), hit “log in”, and it spins for a bit and then puts me back on whatever page I was on… but still not logged in.

We’d need more details. Phone make, OS, browser, versions?

If your phone browser has a privacy tab option (“incognito”, “private browsing”, etc.), and you open discourse there, do you see the same behaviour still?

Firefox on android.

Hmm, that’s weird. Logging in in private browsing tab did work. I’m not sure what to do with this information. Presumably it suggests some kind of cookie weirdness, but then what?

(Also annoying: apparently discourse’s login form somehow manages to subvert firefox’s 1password integration… on other websites I can autofill fine, but not discourse.)

Right, so either cookies or other state is corrupted. Discourse does appear to make use of window.localStorage and window.sessionStorage, so it may require more than clearing cookies.

Unfortunately, Firefox for Android has no controls for clearing per-site cookies or storage data, it’s an all-or-nothing proposition at this point. See the Clear cookies and site data in Firefox page on the Firefox for Android support site.

Alternatively, you could try to connect Firefox on your Android device to the Firefox Web Development tools on your desktop, then open the web developer tools on your desktop, open the Storage panel, and clear out all entries in the cookies, local storage an session storage sections.