Discuss.python.org == or != Discord?

The similarity between discuss.python.org and Discord confuses this old guy. Given that I was unable to find a “Documentation” section on Discord earlier today, I presume they are two different entities. Is the PSF or other “official” organization involved with the Discord Python channels?

curmudgeon-ly, y’rs…

The names are certainly confusing. Maybe this helps:

discuss.python.org is the site we’re on right now, the discussion forum for various subjects related to Python. It has a section on documentation: Documentation - Discussions on Python.org

Discourse is the forum software that discuss.python.org runs on.

Discord is a chat app. I think it was originally mostly used for gaming, but there is a popular Discord server dedicated to Python (https://www.pythondiscord.com/). There is also a private, invitation-only Discord server used by the core devs for real-time communication, and another, public Discord server used specifically to talk about the Python docs (Python Docs).

7 Likes

The similarity between discuss.python.org and Discord confuses
this old guy. Given that I was unable to find a “Documentation”
section on Discord earlier today, I presume they are two different
entities.

The discuss.python.org site is built on an open source forum system
called Discourse, while Discord is a commercial messaging and chat
platform. The two are entirely unrelated, despite sharing
similar-looking names.

1 Like

Jelle, thanks for the invite. I got most of the way through it. I already have a Discord account. I don’t know how it expects me to “claim” my account. It doesn’t like my current email and password…