Dynamically Creating Column and setting it's value based on values present at other columns

Below i am trying to mention my requirement.
In the below screenshot, the yellow columns are the columns which i have to create dynamically based on response in other columns.

Q1_SL is corresponding to Q1_1, Q1_2, and Q1_3.
Q1_SL should be set as 1 only in case all the three columns have same response else will be set as 0.

Same logic needs to be applied for Q2_SL.

My dataset is big and above i have just shared an example of my requirement.

Looking forward to see some thoughts/suggestions from this intellectual community :slight_smile:

What do you mean by “a column”? When you show us this data, what actually is it? Do you have a CSV file? A spreadsheet in a proprietary format such as .xlsx? An SQL database? Something else?

Aside from that, what actual help do you need? What do you imagine are the logical steps involved in solving the problem, and where do you get stuck when you try to write the code?

Hi Karl,

Thanks for taking a look on my query.

This data is a survey data present in CSV file. Data does not include the columns which are highlighted in yellow in my screenshot and actually we need to add those columns in data frame from our side.

If data at all the columns corresponding to Q1 will be same then Q1_SL value should be set as 1 else it will be set as 1.

i am thinking of merging the three Q1 columns with values merged with “;” as delimiter.
As a second step i can check these values, if they are having all the values same after split, if yes then will set Q1_SL as 1 else 0.
Same treatment i can apply on Q2 as well later on.

But for now i m struggling to dynamically merge Q1_1 to Q1_3 and Q2_1 - Q2_2.

What code do you have so far? What problems are solved by the code already? For example, are you able to read the file and store the data?

Hi Karl,

Thanks for showing interest in my query and just wanted to inform you that i am a novice in Python right now.

I am able to read the data and store the data.
In my dataset there are columns corresponding to Q9/Q10/Q11/Q12/Q13/Q14, and corresponding to each question I need to create a separate column and set it’s value for each row either as 1 or 0 depending upon if all the answers are same for a question or not.
I was not able to attach dataset but below is the screenshot of Q9 and Q12 questions from dataset for your reference.

I tried two ways to achieve my requirement, so below are the details of the first way which i tried.

In first way, i tried to execute two loops for rowS/columns, access the values, compare them and then accordingly set the new column value.
Code is partially working, so for example, if you will review dataset row 1 and Q9 question, you will find that all responses are 4 and I am successfully able to create column STLINEQ9 and mark it as 1.
However, for row 2 we have all the responses for Q12 are 9 but code is not working properly to mark STLINEQ12 as 1.

After debugging, i was able to find out the issue but below are the two reasons that i am not invested time to fix the issue.

1. I was not able to identify a way that how to fix the issue.
  2. And i think that this is not the efficient way to achieve the goal as with large set of data this code might not perform well.

Below is the code snippet for your reference which i applied in which df_Final is holding data.

prev=""
clname = ""

for row in range(len(df_Final.index)):    
    temp = ""
    for i in df_Final.columns:                
        STLINE = 1
        if i.find('_GRSP')!=-1:###Checking for SP GRID 
            if (i[:i.index("_GRSP")]+"_GRSP")!=prev:
                temp = df_Final.loc[row,i]  
            print((i[:i.index("_GRSP")]+"_GRSP"), "----",row)
            print(temp)
            if i.find(i[:i.index("_GRSP")]+"_GRSP")!=-1 and df_Final.loc[row,i] != temp: #### Column with Q9_GRSP format compare
                STLINE = 0
            prev = (i[:i.index("_GRSP")]+"_GRSP")
            print(STLINE)
        if i.find('_GRSP')!=-1:  
            clname = 'STLINE'+i[:i.index("_GRSP")]
            #df_Final.at[df_Final.index[row],clname] = STLINE
            df_Final.loc[df_Final.index[row],clname] = STLINE
            #df_Final.iloc[row,df_Final.columns.get_loc("STLINE")] = bool(STLINE)
            #df_Final.loc[df_Final.index[row],clname]            
df_Final

I will send the second way which i am trying as a next comment.

Below is the screenshot of Q12 question from data set.

As a second way i thought of picking the column names first and then mergin them in a column.
After that referring to that single column, i can perform my checks to set new column for each question.

i am able to pull column names and merge them as well, but the merge happened row wise and for all the questions at once.
Not able to think of the way to have a separate merged column for Q9, Q10, Q11 and so on, that too column wise and not row wise.

Below is the code which i have written for this till now.

COL_GRSP = []
df_SL = []
    if i.find('_GRSP')!=-1:
        COL_GRSP.append(i)

for i in COL_GRSP:
    df_SL.append("---".join(df_Final[i]))

Looking forward for your help/suggestion here.

To be clear: you are using the Pandas library? And you use that ahead of time to read the file and create a Dataframe? It’s important to make this kind of thing clear, because there are other possibilities. We should not have to guess based on your variable names.

Yes, i have used Pandas Library to read the file and created Dataframe earlier before the steps mentioned above.

Hi Karl,

FYI…I am able to achieve logic using below code.

COL_GRSP = []
df_SL = []
prev = ""
    if i.find('_GRSP')!=-1:
        if prev != i[:i.index("_GRSP")] and len(prev)>0:
             COL_GRSP.append('-')
        COL_GRSP.append(i)
        prev = i[:i.index("_GRSP")]
COL_GRSP.append('-')
# COL_GRSP

for row in range(len(df_Final.index)):    
    for i in COL_GRSP:
        if i=='-':
            df_Final.loc[df_Final.index[row],"STLINE"+prev] = st_line
            temp=""
            st_line = 1
            continue
        if len(temp)==0:
            temp=df_Final.loc[row,i]  
        if df_Final.loc[row,i]!=temp:
            st_line = 0
        prev = i[:i.index("_GRSP")]

I am sure that it might be not the best way to achieve the goal but for now it’s working.
Let me know if this code sounds good to you or you have any suggestions to make the code efficient considering that in future we can have thousands of rows in data set.

Eager to hear your feedback on this.

Thanks in advance,
Salim

Use pandas’ .all(axis="columns") method to get a boolean Series, and then convert it into an integer type

import pandas as pd

FILENAME = r"path/to/your/file.xlsx"
df = pd.read_excel(FILENAME, index_col=False)
df["Q2_SL"] = (df[["Q1_1", "Q1_2", "Q1_3"]] == 0).all(axis="columns").astype(int)
df.to_excel(FILENAME)