Emails from bpo are going to my GMail's spam folder

Not sure where I should report this, or is this just me.

Starting July 11, I noticed a whole bunch of emails from @bugs.python.org via roundup.psfhosted.org are showing up in my spam folder instead of my main inbox. I’m using GMail.

I wonder if there was a recent change?

2 Likes

It’s not new. I think any email that just adds someone to the nosy list gets flagged. But I have a rule to add a label to all bpo emails and to explicitly skip the spam folder so it hasn’t affected me (beyond the big “this would have been spam had you not overruled with a filter” banner).

Now that you mention it, I noticed that gmail is doing this to me as well. Since gmail uses machine learning in combination with user feedback to sort and filter emails, I’d assume that either the volume of messages from roundup.psfhosted.org passed a certain threshold or enough people marked emails coming from there as spam for some reason.

Explicitly using a rule that prevents anything from roundup.psfhosted.org from being marked is probably the best way to stop it. As far as I’m aware, there’s not anything we can do to prevent this from happening in the first place though.

Same for me from around July 11th.

I have also noticed an uptick in BPO e-mails going to spam - they never used to before. Apparently someone has been using user confirmation dialogues as a way to spam people. If this is true, I would not be surprised if that has gotten BPO on some spam blacklists (or at least hurt it in the “spam/not spam” classifier).

I have the same issue and it’s annoying: https://github.com/python/bugs.python.org/issues/38

I modified my Gmail filter to check Never send to SPAM folder.