Error Installing Dependencies with Wheel on Google Colab

Hello everyone,

I am trying to run the Magic123 model in Google Colab, but I am encountering installation errors for several packages (raymarching, shencoder, freqencoder, and gridencoder). The installation fails during the execution of install.sh, with the following error for each package:

Processing ./raymarching
  Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... done
Building wheels for collected packages: raymarching
  error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× python setup.py bdist_wheel did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> See above for output.

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
  Building wheel for raymarching (setup.py) ... error
  ERROR: Failed building wheel for raymarching
  Running setup.py clean for raymarching
Failed to build raymarching
ERROR: Could not build wheels for raymarching, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• Ensured Wheel is installed and up to date.
  • Attempted to use different Python versions.

Recently, I found someone’s work on Google Colab where they successfully installed Magic123 without any errors. However, when I try to run the compile notebook on my system, I encounter errors that they didn’t. i would be very helpfull for your help since I am working on this errors for two weeks and have not found a solution.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

The corresponding issue you opened on GitHub seems a lot more informative. I looked at the 20 MB log file you attached there and the first few messages seem pretty clear: whatever C++ compiler was found on your system, doesn’t support the C++ 17 standard, which is required in order to compile the C++ code in the project, which is required to install everything.

If you’re trying to do this on Google Colab then the problem is whatever they support, so they’re who you should talk to about accessing a usable compiler.

1 Like