Finite volume method for one dimensional heat transfer using python

The following geometries are given to represent problems in rectangular and cylindrical coordinate
systems. Perform transient analysis to determine temperature distribution at times, t=5s, 10s, 50s,100s
and 1000s. Determine the steady state temperature distribution. Use the finite volume method for
be

k=20
Qgeneration =5000
Left q=200
Right h=20
Tinf =15

@minte0912 This forum is for getting general help with the Python programming language. I think you might want something like https://math.stackexchange.com/ instead.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem any more wild than all those questions about matplotlib and pandas. Maybe I think that because I called myself a physicist once.

@minte0912 : sfepy seems like a package for this kind of problem, but maybe you’ve been directed to something else. If you make an honest attempt at solving it yourself and get stuck with the Python people may be able to help. It doesn’t work to simply post your tutorial assignment and hope someone will do your work.

I’m just thinking of the odds for answer success. Pandas+MPL have a combined ~150M downloads a month, so there’s almost certainly plenty of folks here who can answer the odd Pandas or MPL question I expect the density of knowledge about finite difference methods to be much higher in other more specialized forums.

@jeff5 is right – please don’t ask us to do your homework for you. Depending on what class this is for – who knows what you are expected to do? Use a FV pacakge? write the code from scratch? who knows? (you should!) – but here’s the first google hit I got:

you should be able to translate that into code – once you’ve tried, if you get stuck then come back here and you’ll get some help.

Hint – start by determining if this is a 1D or 2D problem.

NOTE: it’s been a long time, but back in the day we did this with a finite difference method – and it’s almost trivial for the steady state solution anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like