Firefox gets "Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported"

Is there a way to fix this? I have zero trust of MS Edge, very little for Google chrome.

Thanks

Show the minimum code needed to get that message, between lines with 3 backtacks.

```
<code>
```

In webbrowser, ‘firefox’ is lower-cased.

You’re going to need to give us some context here :slight_smile: Where did you see this message? What version of Firefox are you using?

Can you elaborate? What site is giving you that message, and what
does it have to do with Python?

I am using Firefox 110.0.1 (64-bit) (this is the latest update of Firefox) for almost all internet stuff.
When I try to log in to https://discuss.python.org/ I get the message:
" Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply."
The website works properly on MS Edge, which is how I can respond to you.

I’m using the exact same browser and version, right now. Have you some Extension plug-in, that may be causing the issue? I can’t think why else you’d be having trouble.

I have the “User Agent Switcher” plugin installed on Firefox : If I change the “browser” setting to any other (Opera, Edge, Safari, Chrome) the website works fine.
So at least that allows me to “stay” with Firefox, but not sure why I need to do that.
Thanks for all the help and comments.

Maybe disable that in the AddOns page and retry? Maybe it’s sending an
oddlooking firefox user agent specification?

Like Rob, I can use the Discourse forum happily using Firefox.

Are you running NoScript or some other addon which blocks javascript or
plugins? For example, I use NoScript and had to enable JS for python.org
and discuss-cdn…com.

You might need to do some sort of binary search of the enabled addons to
see if any might be eliciting this behaviour, alas :frowning:

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

Also, is it possible for you to obtain the specific User-Agent string your firefox is sending? - Cameron

You are on the right track, I disabled the User-Agent app entirely and now I have no problem logging in here. The User-Agent code it was using for Firefox was QUITE out of date. The creator of the app apparently is no longer supporting it.

3 Likes

Any scope to make a “firefox-101” custom user agent string with the current ff ua so you can keep using the addin? Assuming you still want to of course.