[Governance PEPs] Duration of a vote: start vote immediately or schedule a vote?

Hi,

In my governance PEP, I decided to use a duration of 1 month for all kinds of votes:

• promote a contributor as a core developer
  • approve or reject a PEP
  • update the governance PEP

I decided to pick one month to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to give their opinion (even if they don’t vote +1 or -1, but just want to share their thoughts).

In the discussion of the PEP 8001, I asked if this duration is too long since @ambv proposed 2 weeks to vote for the governance PEP: PEP 8001: Python Governance Voting Process - #44 by vstinner He wrote:

It seems like the main difference between the PEP 8001 vote and the votes in my PEP 8015 is that the PEP 8001 announced the vote 1 month in advance, whereas in my PEP all votes starts “immediately” (once the board decided to start the vote).

Questions:

• should I reduce the duration of votes in my PEP to reduce “churn”?
  • should I add a delay before a vote to announce the vote?
  • should more important votes have a longer duration? For example, 1 month to update the governance PEP but 1 week or 2 weeks to promote a core developer?

Since my PEP mostly wants to formalize the existing processes, maybe we should not add a delay before a vote, but only reduce the duration of votes. Proposition:

• promote a contributor: vote open for 1 week
  • vote on a PEP: vote open for 2 weeks
  • update the governance PEP: vote open for 1 month
2 Likes

I would suggest two timeframes to look at: “notice prior to vote”, “duration of voting”.

I would recommend for minimum “notice prior to vote”:

• governance votes (personnel, bylaws): 20 days
  • vote on operations / peps: 10 days
  • vote on contributor promotion: immediate

For “duration of voting”:

• all votes: 7 days
  • governance PEPs: I would recommend 7 days but up to 14 seems reasonable. Longer than that is not needed if 20 days prior notice is given.

I’ll just note that lots of jurisdictions have early voting, vote-by-mail, absentee ballots, etc. that do increase the time allowed to vote. That increases turnout. But there’s usually a cutoff date after which new votes don’t count.

1 Like

Thanks @willingc, I updated all votes conditions in my PEP 8015. There are 4 different votes:

• Promote a contributor: no notice, vote open for 1 week
  • PEP: 1 week notice, PEP can be updated during the notice, vote open for 1 week
  • Steering Committee: 3 weeks notice, candidates have to apply during the notice, vote open for 1 week
  • Update PEP 8015: 3 weeks notice, proposed change can be updated during the notice, vote open for 1 week

I prefer the new conditions, it’s closer to what we did in practice. Thanks Carol for the idea of formalizing the announcement of a vote in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like