In my governance PEP, I decided to use a duration of 1 month for all kinds of votes:
- promote a contributor as a core developer
- approve or reject a PEP
- update the governance PEP
I decided to pick one month to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to give their opinion (even if they don’t vote +1 or -1, but just want to share their thoughts).
It seems like the main difference between the PEP 8001 vote and the votes in my PEP 8015 is that the PEP 8001 announced the vote 1 month in advance, whereas in my PEP all votes starts “immediately” (once the board decided to start the vote).
- should I reduce the duration of votes in my PEP to reduce “churn”?
- should I add a delay before a vote to announce the vote?
- should more important votes have a longer duration? For example, 1 month to update the governance PEP but 1 week or 2 weeks to promote a core developer?
Since my PEP mostly wants to formalize the existing processes, maybe we should not add a delay before a vote, but only reduce the duration of votes. Proposition:
- promote a contributor: vote open for 1 week
- vote on a PEP: vote open for 2 weeks
- update the governance PEP: vote open for 1 month