Having the PSF reach out to sponsors more

(Steve Holden) #1

I used to annoy people (I imagine - certainly Guido never liked the term) by insisting that Python needed marketing. The PSF could, perhaps, extend its outreach efforts to sponsors by trying to overcome the perceived barriers that you mention here.

If we could find some way to make Python support a way to gain kudos in the corporate world we could perhaps find chances to expound the real benefits of open source collaboration. Would it be worth my making inquiries with the Foundation, or am I just dreaming?

“You may call me a dreamer …” – John Lennon

2 Likes

PEP 582 - Python local packages directory
(Steve Holden) #2

Also, mu.

Let’s get behind that.

2 Likes

(Antoine Pitrou) #3

Which barriers?

0 Likes

(Steve Holden) #4

That corporate entities and others don’t contribute back due to their (in my eyes, false) perception of the core devs as stand-offish, unwelcoming or similarly unapproachable.

0 Likes

(Antoine Pitrou) #5

Do we have any data or anecdotes about this?

1 Like

(Steve Dower) #6

Yes, I have many. Turns out they’ll happily talk to the Microsoft guy :slight_smile:

Most recently was the email from the company who have (allegedly) reduced GIL overhead by 20-30% on Windows by tweaking some timeouts, but they saw that “the community” was not interested in contributions from companies (emailing me was their final “just in case”, and I haven’t seen them since so perhaps I wasn’t convincing enough when I said “yes! Yes! Yes!”).

I have plenty of others too. We filled a room last year with trillions of dollars worth of Python users to chat about their problems and concerns, and “pushback” from “the community” for even existing was a big one.

There’s a lot of complexity around this area though - we’re literally talking about people who disagree with each other’s core values, which is a touchy area. So I’m not putting it all out in public right now. But some of us (outside of the PSF) are actively engaging these groups to try and encourage better communication and collaboration.

3 Likes