Help solving a taskšŸ™

Hi everyone! Im very much of a beginner and Iā€™m trying to solve a problem.

sentence = input('wright a sentence here: ')
res = len(sentence.split())
print(ā€˜You wrote ā€™ + str(res) + ā€™ wordsā€™)

So far so good. I get the program to tell me how many words i wrote. But now I want the program to tell me the first and the last word in the sentence. Ive tried so many things but just feel stupid.

Wouldnt "print (ā€˜The first word isā€™ + str(sentence[0]) " work?

It may help to split your code up into individual steps. After calling input(), you get back a sentence - great! But then you do two steps at once: you split the sentence and count the length, all at once. Try doing that in two steps, giving a name to the intermediate result, and possibly printing that out (note that you can print(x) for any x and Python will give you a good look at what it is), and that might give you a great clue as to how to get the first/last words.

No need to feel stupid; you just need to know how to access a list object, is all:

# this puts all the words into a list object right away
sentence = input('Wright a sentence here: ').split()

print(f"Your sentence has {len(sentence)} words.") # how many words
print(f"The first word is {sentence[0]}") # zero is first element of a list
print(f"The last word is {sentence[-1]}") # -1 is the last element of a list

Thank you so much guys, ill try that!

kind regards / Kristoffer

As an FYI, this is an example of how any indexed object (of which a list object is an example) can be accessed:

position:   |  0  |  1 |  2  |  3  |  4  |
 data:       |  a  |  b |  c  |  d  |  e  |
- position:  | -5  | -4 | -3  | -2  | -1  |

For the above, the object could be a list:
list_data = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e']
ā€¦ or a stringā€¦
string = 'abcde'
ā€¦ to name but two.

Do you see a variable in the program, that contains all the words of the sentence? (Hint: where the code says res = len(sentence.split()), what does this mean, step by step? The purpose of len is to find the length of something, right? What is that ā€œsomethingā€ in this code?)

Well, did you try it? What happened when you tried it?

As a side note, Python offers a lot of powerful ways to put strings together. Itā€™s not necessary to make every piece into a separate string and + them together. See these links: