How can someone check their Discourse Trust Level?

Cool cool. Uhhh… sorry for the dumb question, but how would someone check their trust level? I looked at my profile but didn’t see it, which may just mean that I didn’t know where to look.

It’s not obvious at all… I also struggled finding it…

One way is to go to your own profile (https://discuss.python.org/u/Rosuav/summary) and then click on the “Expand” button on the right. The trust level should be there.

1 Like

It’s not as obvious as it should be, particularly due to not showing the actual TL along with the name (TL0 - New User, TL1 - Basic user, TL2 Member, TL3 Regular - you, TL4 Leader). Your trust level is TL3 - Regular; you far exceed the requirements:

(Note the “Trust Level locked” was manually added in recognition of your long, consistent record of helpful community contributions and being understanding and responsive to feedback, so that you aren’t automatically demoted to TL2 - member and loosing helpful permissions should your activity ever dip below your current levels)

It’s shown on your user card if you click your name or picture:

And on your user summary page:

Its also shown in your badges page:

If you’re curious, you can read more about Discourse trust levels here:

1 Like

Ahh! Got it, thank you. Trust Level: regular.

Thanks for all the detail!

(Also, oof. I post a lot here. I am noisy.)

Was not aware that Likes Given was a requirement for L3. I tend to only use that if (a) the post is really REALLY amazing or hilarious, or (b) I have nothing to add to the post, but want to thank the person anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah, personally I think some of the TL3 requirements are a bit silly, and if I notice someone who’s still TL2 and has a consistent record of constructive contributions, no major problems and don’t meet one or a few of the normal requirements for one reason or another, I’ll bump them up manually. I wish it would allow configuring that to only require meeting N-1, -2 or similar of the requirements, to accommodate different members with different contribution styles.

1 Like

That would be a nice feature (or equivalently, worded as “requires N out of M of the following”). Would be a bit more complicated to explain to people though.

1 Like

Was not aware that Likes Given was a requirement for L3. I tend to
only use that if (a) the post is really REALLY amazing or
hilarious, or (b) I have nothing to add to the post, but want to
thank the person anyway.

Further, “likes” (and many other Discourse stats such as “days
visited” or “read time”) are only relevant to users of the WebUI,
leading to people who mostly interact in mailing list mode never
advancing beyond the basic user level. At least, I’m not aware of a
way to “like” a message I receive from the forum short of starting
up a browser and clicking things, which is rather more effort than
replying to it.

Yes, but also, what use is a higher trust level to someone who only uses mailing list mode? I’m looking at the trust levels post that CAM posted, and the features of TL2 and above all seem to be based on the web interface. The only one that might make a difference is “Access a secure category” but I’m not aware of any such super secret “in-crowd only” category on this particular Discourse. Obviously this can all be configured by the admins, but it definitely looks as if TL1 gives effectively full mailing list access.

1 Like

IIRC, you can reply “+1” by email.

2 Likes

Yes, but also, what use is a higher trust level to someone who
only uses mailing list mode?

I recall it took a while before my trust level was high enough to be
able to include URLs in my replies, even though I was simply trying
to link references to PEPs or documentation on python.org, and I
ended up visiting the WebUI a bit just to raise it sufficiently to
be able to do so. Also there was an unfortunate incident, about a
year in, where my account got incorrectly auto-banned without
warning and every one of my prior posts with a URL in it hidden
(which were basically all to resources on python.org); this
apparently wouldn’t have occurred if my trust level were higher.

Granted, maybe those were early adopter stumbling blocks, and the
situation has gotten better in the past couple of years?

Is there a way to see the checklist for ourselves? I can’t find it anywhere in my profile, I would have expected Trust level member to be clickable or something like that, but it isn’t. Is that an admin only view?

Good point about mailing list users; I did have mailing list users in mind when thinking of that, and was going to mention that explicitly, until it then occurred to me what @Rosuav also brought up about the TLs likely not making much difference above TL1 since the permissions pretty much all relate to the web UI.

I’m not aware of any specific post restrictions that would apply to mailing list TL1 users as opposed to TL0, but just in case, or if you do end up using the web UI in the future, I bumped you up to TL2 (which I thought I did before along with several other longtime mailing list contributors, but it seems I missed you somehow).

If anyone else in a similar situation runs into trouble, I’m happy to bump them up as needed.

Yeah nope; by default there is a “Lounge” category visible to only TL3+ members, but that’s evidently turned off on this Discourse; the only restricted categories are the read-only Committers, a rarely used private category for core devs, and the staff only category which is just used for internal testing—none of which are access-controlled by Trust Level.

As far as I’m aware the checklist itself is only viewable from the staff interface, perhaps simply due to not thinking it that useful, concerns users might game the system, or as a simple oversight. However, you can view some of the stats on your profile summary page, and I’m happy to share it with anyone who asks.

Additionally, AFAIK there isn’t a way for even mods to view the checklist for TL2 and below, only TL3, though in that case the all-time stats should pretty much all be visible to you on your user summary page, and you can compare them to the thresholds from there.

Here you go…looks like you aren’t too far away, aside from giving a few more likes and visiting a few more days:

2 Likes

IIRC, you can reply “+1” by email.

Thanks, that worked! Your post got my first ever like on here. :wink:

I’m not aware of any specific post restrictions that would apply
to mailing list TL1 users as opposed to TL0, but just in case, or
if you do end up using the web UI in the future, I bumped you up
to TL2 (which I thought I did before along with several other
longtime mailing list contributors, but it seems I missed you
somehow).

Much appreciated, thanks. I do use the WebUI from time to time, but
mostly only for things that don’t work via E-mail (for example, when
people attach images/screenshots to posts, Discourse doesn’t include