How to have Pycharm always run "Current File"

Config: Python 3.12, Pycharm 2023.3.2, on Windows 10 Pro. I’m new to Python and have not yet completed a 62 hour tutorial on Python.

I have found that in PyCharm, when I switch projects the source file that is run seems to be the first source file in the project. How to I configure Pycharm CE to always run the current file when I click the run button?

I’m doing a tutorial where I make a new source file for each of chapter, and there are 100s of chapters.

Thank you!

Is that what you’re looking for ?

Also, a good practice in Python is to have the code you want to execute protected by an
if __name__ == "__main__": statement. See the reference documentation for rationale and further details:

When you do so, PyCharm will automatically add a run button on the left of the file editor, on which you can click to run the current file (see my screenshot below). I find it quite convenient !

1 Like

That will work. I will just change how I work. Using hotkeys probably has more advantages than what I’m doing. Thank you.

The way I work is by clicking the run button near the top of the code I’m writing, just above the source code tabs.

Left of the Run icon on the top right of the editor is the Run/Debug Configurations drop-down (it usually shows the file that will run).

Click that drop-down and select Edit Configurations. Select the configuration you want gone and hit the minus (-) sign (top left next to plus sign) to remove that configuration. Now it should always run the Current File