I need help to make a word based game on python

I’m a beginner beginner and need help making a word based game on python for a school project, I need something creative but simple to make. Can anyone give me some ideas please.

Super simple would be to start even earlier and make a rock, paper, scissors game Rock paper scissors - Wikipedia.

Have the person input the word rock paper or scissors to make their move.

What things have you made so far? Have any of them involved working with strings? If they haven’t, you should start by studying strings.

Have you tried Hangman? You might be looking for something simpler, but it’s still a nice project to try for beginners. Here is a wiki which explains the rules of the game.

It’s best to try your own implementation first.

Thanks Charles, much appreciated

Would it be able to make a word guessing game kind of like wordle?

Yes.

It’s the same concept: a secret word that has to be guessed by the user, one letter at a time. There are differences: in Wordle the secret word contains 5 letters and the user gets 6 chances, and each guessed letter is coloured differently depending on its accuracy. I assume you know it.

With Hangman each incorrect guess leads to an element of a hanging figure on a scaffold being drawn - the user’s task is to guess the correct word before the hanging figure is fully drawn. At the start of the game, your scaffold will be empty:

+---+
  |   |
      |
      |
      |
      |

If you don’t get the correct word the completed hanging figure should be displayed, something like as shown below.

+---+
  |   |
  O   |
 /|\  |
 / \  |
      |

In this version there are 7 characters making up the hanged figure, so the user can’t make more than 7 incorrect guesses.

I was wrong originally - the hanging figure does have 6 characters, starting from the head (O). So I think that makes is almost identical to Wordle.

1 Like

A follow up: if you do attempt Wordle you would need to colour the guessed letters - I’m not sure how I would do it, but perhaps you could use something like this.