Is Python 3.6 EOL?

If I understand correctly, Python 3.6.15 is the latest security release of Python 3.6 and, according to PEP 494, at the end of 2021 (in a few days) there will be no more releases.

Is this correct? Should we expect an official announcement?

Quoting the PEP: Security fixes only, as needed, until 2021-12

AFAIK, there has been no security fixes for the 3.6 branch since 3.6.15, so I would assume there will be no 3.6.16.

Python 3.6 EOL is stated in the PEP (every release announcement has linked to the PEP), it has been noted in the latest python.org news blog posts (3.6.14 announcement, 3.6.15 announcement), and it is also noted on the download page. Is that not sufficient?

Quoting from the download page of 3.6.15:

Python 3.6.8 was the last bugfix release for 3.6. Python 3.6 is now in the security fix phase of its life cycle. Only security-related issues are accepted and addressed during this phase. We plan to provide security fixes for Python 3.6 as needed through 2021, five years following its initial release. Security fix releases are produced periodically as needed and are source-only releases; binary installers are not provided.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

I asked because the download page for Python 3.5.10 has a very explicit wording that is different from the text for 3.6.15 that you quoted

Python 3.5 has reached end-of-life. Python 3.5.10 is the final release of 3.5.

Per PEP 494, the Python 3.6 release schedule,

As of 2021-12-23, 3.6 has reached the end-of-life phase of its release cycle. 3.6.15 was the final security release. The code base for 3.6 is now frozen and no further updates will be provided nor issues of any kind will be accepted on the bug tracker.

Per the Python 3.6 download page:

Python 3.6.15 was the final security fix release of Python 3.6.

Python 3.6.8 was the last bugfix release for 3.6. As of 2021-12-23, Python 3.6 has reached the end-of-life phase of its life cycle. The 3.6 code base is now frozen and no further issues of any kind will be accepted.

Yep, Ned updated PEP 494 (and probably the download page) on 2021-12-31, as expected.

1 Like

And here’s a statement from Ned:

Also posted on python-dev :horse: :sunrise_over_mountains: :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes