Issue while trying to install pyttsx

Hello there,

Im very interested to use pyttsx package in my projects but when I installed it and checked it showed me this issue

/usr/local/bin/python3 "/Users/emiliustube/Documents/Python projects/text to speech test.py"
thon projects/text to speech test.py"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/__init__.py", line 20, in init
    eng = _activeEngines[driverName]
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/weakref.py", line 136, in __getitem__
    o = self.data[key]()
        ~~~~~~~~~^^^^^
KeyError: None

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/Users/emiliustube/Documents/Python projects/text to speech test.py", line 2, in <module>
    engine = pyttsx3.init()
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/__init__.py", line 22, in init
    eng = Engine(driverName, debug)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/engine.py", line 30, in __init__
    self.proxy = driver.DriverProxy(weakref.proxy(self), driverName, debug)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/driver.py", line 50, in __init__
    self._module = importlib.import_module(name)
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1387, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1360, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1331, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 935, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 995, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 488, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/drivers/nsss.py", line 12, in <module>
    class NSSpeechDriver(NSObject):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/drivers/nsss.py", line 13, in NSSpeechDriver
    @objc.python_method
     ^^^^
NameError: name 'objc' is not defined. Did you mean: 'object'?
emiliustube@MBP-Emil ~ % /usr/local/bin/python3 "/Users/emiliustube/Documents/Python projects/text to speech 
test.py"
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/__init__.py", line 20, in init
    eng = _activeEngines[driverName]
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/weakref.py", line 136, in __getitem__
    o = self.data[key]()
        ~~~~~~~~~^^^^^
KeyError: None

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/Users/emiliustube/Documents/Python projects/text to speech test.py", line 2, in <module>
    engine = pyttsx3.init()
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/__init__.py", line 22, in init
    eng = Engine(driverName, debug)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/engine.py", line 30, in __init__
    self.proxy = driver.DriverProxy(weakref.proxy(self), driverName, debug)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/driver.py", line 50, in __init__
    self._module = importlib.import_module(name)
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1387, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1360, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1331, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 935, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 995, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 488, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/drivers/nsss.py", line 12, in <module>
    class NSSpeechDriver(NSObject):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pyttsx3/drivers/nsss.py", line 13, in NSSpeechDriver
    @objc.python_method
     ^^^^
NameError: name 'objc' is not defined. Did you mean: 'object'?`

I found on internet that I can install pyttsx but with tts in the end, I tried and it showed me this issue -

1 error generated.
      error: command '/usr/bin/clang' failed with exit code 1
      [end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
  ERROR: Failed building wheel for pyobjc-framework-Cocoa
  Running setup.py clean for pyobjc-framework-Cocoa
Failed to build pyobjc-core pyobjc-framework-Cocoa
ERROR: Could not build wheels for pyobjc-core, pyobjc-framework-Cocoa, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects
emiliustube@MBP-Emil Python projects % python3 -m pip install --upgrade setuptools
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages (70.0.0)
emiliustube@MBP-Emil Python projects %

what I need to do to solve this issue, please help! I use Mac OS, python 3.12.3

if you need additional info, Im here to give

I’m not 100% sure (I used Mac OS only a few times), but has your system got any C/C++ compiler? Some Python packages contain C code to be compiled on a machine that installs them.

I got my Mac a few days ago and I’m new on it, so I don’t have C / C++ compiler but I have the python one. So you say that C compiler should help?

Well, if you try to write these commands in terminal:

clang
gcc
cc

and all of them return a text like “X command unknown”, then I think you should install a C compiler. If I remember correctly “Clang” is a standard compiler for Macs :slight_smile:

If you read here pyttsx3 · PyPI you can see that the project has seen no update since 2020 and claims the newest version of python supported is 3.7

You may want to find a support replacement for pyttsx.

However if you do want to attempt to use this package you will need to install xcode from the macos app store.
Then you will need to install the xcode command line tools.
Search the web to get the steps to do this.

But you may still find that the package does not install, because its not been maintained.

That package is no longer being maintained. See: