Just want to say "Hi" to the forum!

Good day everyone.
It’s a long time I wanted to join a Python forum, and I’ve finally did it.
Just wanted to say “hi” to the community, and, since I’m here, I want to introduce myself.
My name is Francesco, I’m 26 yo and I’m using Python for about a year now, and I really love it, starting from the elegant syntax (I love indentation).
I work in automation engineering, and I mainly use Python and/or other scripting/programming languages to improve some aspects of a process (to develop faster and in a more secure way), or, in some cases, to build an application to use in production environment.
I like to experiment a lot of things, and Python seems to be an interesting language to do so.
I took two courses on Python from a quite famous course about programming languages (I don’t know if it’s spam or not, so I’m not saying the name of the website), one on the basics of the language, and one on Data Science, in which the libraries numpy and pandas were widely used.
I’m currently following another course on django, and I’m really excited about it;
it’s really fun to program with, and it appears to have a good structure.
The thing I love less about Python, is that since I’m using it, compared to other scripting languages even less powerful and less easy, GUIs and compiling the source code to exe are the thing I find more difficult to do.
Well, I guess I introduced myself quite enough.
A big thank you to all the people who have contributed and contribute to this amazing language.

See you soon!

Cheers :blush:

1 Like

For GUIs you can look at Kivy. For building exe files you can use Pyinstaller. These are just personal preferences.

1 Like

Hi @TobiasHT , and thanks for the suggestions!
Coming from languages where a GUI designer was often available, I was looking for somethinf similiar to give a shape to the GUIs.
It’s obvious for me that “manual” adjustments have to be done, but I’ve found (maybe becuase I didn’t search enough, and always in hurry projects) very few valid GUI designers.
Talking about compiling, I already use pyinstaller, but I don’t know a lot of things about it, and I couldn’t find answer to some questions.
For example, the other day I was trying to compile a Python script for Windows 7, using the package Snap7; I saw that the Python version 3.8.8 was supported by Windows 7, so I installed it, and try to compile the script with that version, but no matter what, pyinstaller was always pointing to Python version 3.9, and so the script was compiled to that version and couldn’t run on Windows 7.
Maybe I should create a post about these questions, but for now I just wanted to reply to you.
Hope you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Where you compiling for windows 7 using a windows >=8 machine?

1 Like

@TobiasHT
Yes, I was using a PC with Windows 10 OS, I forgot to mention it, thanks!

Cheers :slight_smile:

I don’t think Pyinstaller supports cross compilation. If you wanna compile for windows 7, you gotta use a windows 7 machine. Also I think python dropped support for windows 7

@TobiasHT
So, in the case I’d like to compile a script for Windows 7, I should install the correct versions for Python and pyinstaller on a Windows 7 machine, right?

Cheers.

1 Like

By Francesco Di Muro via Discussions on Python.org at 09Jun2022 07:01:

So, in the case I’d like to compile a script for Windows 7, I should
install the correct versions for Python and pyinstaller on a Windows 7
machine, right?

I believe so. I’ve not done this myself though. - Cameron Simpson
cs@cskk.id.au

Thanks a lot @cameron !
I’ll give it a try as soon as possible and I let you know.
Have a good one :slight_smile:

Cheers.