Links to blogs about suspensions

Mailing list mode is not helpful for posts already flagged.

I come from Hacker News to find out the facts behind suspending @tim.one.

This link was posted on the python users mailing list and is a intereseting read: The Shameful Defenestration of Tim - by Chris McDonough

1 Like

Relatedly, there’s also the following which is related to the above link, even if not specifically addressing it.

4 Likes

To address the off topic discussion, which will probably get this thread locked, but I do think it is an important discussion, as it affects members of this forum even if they do not have CPython committer rights, and I promise to end this post bringing it back on topic:

Pradyun Gedam:

Relatedly, there’s also the following which is related to the above link, even if not specifically addressing it.

Deciphering Glyph :: On The Defense Of Heroes

What, specifically, has been alleged? How are these allegations substantiated?

While I strongly agree with the opening paragraph of this blog post, it unfortunately falls into its own fallacies, the very next sentences after the ones quoted are:

What verifiable evidence exists to the contrary? If you feel that someone is falsely accusing them to ruin their reputation, is there evidence to support your claim that the accusation is false?

The author is asking the reader to prove a negative, in fair systems it is up to those who are accused accusing to provide evidence. But in this case we are not privy to the system, and therefore it can not be judged from the outside of whether it was fair or not. Whether rightly or wrongly, this has left people to pick apart what is in the announcement, what is on the public record, use best guesses, and look at the character of the people involved. It is rather unideal.

Much of the other arguments in the blog post rely on the accusations being valid and true, and I think they are correct under those assumptions. But as it is clear in the discussion of the announcement, whether the action was justified or not, some people believe the messaging was poor and in places factually incorrect. Outside observers have no way of assessing this, because in part (and getting back to being on topic), the public record has been manipulated by hiding such posts from non-privileged members. I think that whether this community wants a transparent open record of discussion that took place on it needs to be clearly outlined (maybe it already is and I’m not aware?).

P.S I made this a seperate post so any moderator actions (splitting, hiding, etc.), on this specific thread of conversation, can easily be done independently of the original discussion.

3 Likes

Speaking as a moderator, this topic should be for sharing links to blog posts on the subject of suspensions only. If this deviates or goes negative I will lock this topic down.

I placed it here in Core Development only because I didn’t have a better place and the suspension most people are referring to was done by the SC.

3 Likes

At this point, we feel that many sides in this discussion have stated their various positions in enough various ways and various places. Thank you everyone for all your feedback, it has been heard and responded to by the community, moderators (Guidelines - Discussions on Python.org), CoC team, steering council (Inclusive communications expectations in Python spaces, and PSF board (Python’s Supportive and Welcoming Environment is Tightly Coupled to Its Progress). Further discussion about this is proving unproductive, and so will be considered off topic. If you are concerned about a moderation decision, you can privately message the @moderators group on the forums, or contact the Code of Conduct team.

5 Likes