Need help with an error

Hi
First time using python! I downloaded python and PyCharm 2023.3.4 (Community Edition). My first program was ‘hello world’.
I’m instructions on the youtube video " Python for Beginners - Learn Python in 1 Hour"
but I’m getting an error and I don’t know how to clear it. When I tried to create the project, the error message was "python installation’ field. So I downloaded it again and did a ‘repair’. I was able to open up the window to do the print statement but when I ran it, I got: “error running app. SDK is not defined for Run Configuration”. There was also this: “Error: Please select a valid Python interpreter”. When I try and run it, the ‘edit configuration’ window appears. but under ‘Run’ in the configuration, it shows “”. I assume that’s the problem but I don’t know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
clem

Being that you are just starting out, I wouldn’t recommend using PyCharm. This one is generally geared towards those having a bit more experience with Python.

Start out first with either IDLE or Spyder as they are more user friendly and have a smaller learning curve. What you want is to focus on learning the language, not the tool (the two IDEs recommended below are relatively simple).

IDLE:

Spyder:

Stay away from using virtual environments. Many users have generally complained of running into issues with setting them up properly.

Thanks for the reply! I downloaded Spyder, installed it and playing around with it. AND it’s ‘scientific’ oriented IDE! Just what I was wanting!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Great! I am glad you like it.

fyi …

Spyder_Interpreter_Latest_Selection

If I remember correctly, you might have to restart the application for the changes to take effect.

Most of @onePythonUser 's other advice is good, but as one of the Spyder developers I’d actually strongly advise using them, especially as a beginner, as you avoid messing up your entire Python installation and need to reinstall it if something gets messed up with your packages—especially if (as a scientific user) you’re mixing pip and conda:

In Spyder 6, currently in beta, we have a environment manager built in which can automatically create, switch and install packages into environments for you (via Conda, and possibly pip in the future). This also means you won’t need to install a separate Python yourself to get the latest version or install your own packages (as @onePythonUser shows you how to do for Spyder 5); Spyder 6 can create environments for you with any version of Python.

We do say this in some of our videos (which I disagreed with), but in reality you only need to restart the current IPython console or open a new one. This also means you can open multiple different consoles in different (or the same) environments, all within the same Spyder.