Packaging and Python for AIX

AIX is not the best known Python platform. But AIX is the platform I know best.

• For several years, as aixtools (http://www.aixtools.net/index.php/python3) I have been building and packaging Python for AIX. For modules/packages, generally I leave that to users (as do other packagers of Python for AIX (Michael Perzl, BULL Freeware, IBM AIX Toolbox) to use pip, if they can, and download source packages and “install”).

• For the packages that do get pre-built - they need to be downloaded from my site, Perzl, Bull, or IBM - and they are pre-wrapped as an RPM (the others) or as installp (mine). This is not the Python way:
    a) installp/rpm packaging forces both root (su, rbac, or sudo) access and only to a system level installation;
    b) users wishing to use virtualenv these pre-wrapped packages must be installed system level first (as they cannot install into a virtualenv - locations are (for all practicable purposes) hard-coded.

• I have experimented with devpi-server - enough to learn that wheels can be built and installed - but the current support for tagging is so ambigious (much the same ambiguity Linux faced before manylinux1 was introduced).

• I have a good idea of what is needed - but I have learned that just doing something and thinking everyone will be amazed (that noone had done it before) leads to (my) disappointment (:stuck_out_tongue: at me).

• So, I hope to find support - enough to be able to move forward - for bringing packaing for Python for AIX into the mainstream aka common-practice.

Thanks for your time to read, think and comment!

Michael

1 Like

http://www.aixtools.net/python seems to be a dead link?

Thanks. Forgot the “index.php” piece. Have corrected the link.

The site just won’t load for me. Has anyone else had better luck with that?

The site just won’t load for me. Has anyone else had better luck with that?

Yesterday, my ISP changed, so did the IP address.

If you manually set www.aixtools.net to 82.161.237.226 (e.g., in
/etc/hosts or \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts - the site should load.

When it rains, it pours.

Sadly, my domain register, who also manages my nameserver for aixtools -
is not available. Seems a router between them and myself is sending
packets into blackhole. (sigh2)

Michael

update: 18 hours later. Still no contact with domain registrar. Am very very worried!

I was able to access the site with your instructions but there was nothing of interest to me. I was just trying to find documentation that would help me validate the AIX support PR against wheel.