PyCon US Packaging Mini-Summit 2019

Have we finalized the structure or dates+timing for the summit?

I propose we tentatively do something similar to what we did last year and have a split between the conference and the sprints, tentatively scheduling the “everyone in the same room discussing stuff” mini-summit for at least 1 hour in the morning the first day of the sprints, and at least one open space.

Last year I think we put a cap on the meeting on the first day of sprints at I think 2 hours. We can do that again, but depending on what we want to accomplish, it may be worth considering other structures. One option for this would be that we meet in the morning of the first day for ~1 hour and break into working groups, then throughout the day we each work on something, then either at the end of the day or the next day, we have another 60-90 minute session where the groups either give a recap of what they worked on or the working groups come back with any stumbling blocks that they want general feedback on.

One other thing I’d like to mention is that last year we spent a decent chunk of that first meeting enumerating topics and then voting on an ordering in which to discuss them. I think it would be a good idea if we could get that out of the way ahead of time (it would help with planning as well).

I don’t have time at the moment to set it up, but maybe we can have a thread here just for topic suggestions (no +1s or voting yet), and then after some hopefully sufficient period we can take a straw poll for what people want to talk about. That way we can try to budget enough time during the conference to get to the most important things, even if the final agenda is assembled by voting on the full list of topics on the day itself.

Anyone mind setting something like that up? I think the first part can be accomplished with just a topic selection thread on discourse and a cross-post to distutils.

I’ll do that.

1 Like

^made the topic suggestion thread

I’ll send a CTA for the topic suggestions, to distutils-sig tomorrow morning.

Meeting for ~1-2 hours on the first day, then breaking out into working groups sounds like a good way to structure the discussions.

There might be folks who can contribute to more than one working group but IMO it’ll probably be best to not have a person in more than 2 working groups at most.

I think we might also want to figure out how to structure the open space discussion. Would it make sense to have multiple open spaces, perhaps each targeted at a slightly more specific audience? An example of the top of my head is, one for discussing end user issues + one for publishers/redistributors?

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Packaging Mini Summit (PyCon US 2019): Topic Suggestions

Is there a way we could somehow all meet each other earlier in the conference so that we’ll be able to recognize each other during the conference days? That would make it easier for people to talk about packaging in advance of the first formal meeting if we run into people, etc. Otherwise, we could walk right by somebody and not know it.

2 Likes

By first day, do you mean the first day of sprints? Just trying to get a better sense of when things will be scheduled. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and helping put this together :smile:

I should be around and would love to discuss. If there are 2 topics or two ideas I’d like to propose it’s the following:

• Possibility to enforce at upload time python_requires on PyPI; I believe it is important for people that are stuck on old python to don’t automatically get newer incompatible versions.
  • Ability to amend python_requires for already published packages – at least there are number of Python 3 only packages that where published without setting python_requires, and well once that’s done there is no fixing it pip2 will pull an incompatible sdist.

Edit moved to relevant thread.

Hello, rollback attacks…

1 Like

This is going to be critical. Can you please post this in the topic suggestion thread? One topic per reply as we’re leaving open the possibility of using “likes” as votes.

Edit: Honestly, I’d just put that as one topic, “Future of python_requires” or something, and then put as background that we want to discuss fixing bad uploaded versions and making it mandatory.

Edit 2: Here’s the issue on warehouse about making python_requires mandatory: Reject packages without a Requires-Python · Issue #3889 · pypi/warehouse · GitHub

Sorry, done.

Well, let’s discuss that separately, but I believe you already trust packages authors and run their code…

Yep. I’m suggesting the meeting to be on the first day of sprints like last year.

It might make sense to have it on the first day of the conference as well though, I’ve not seen the Google Sheet lately (and it’s refusing to open on my phone right now) so unless we have a lot of interested folks who aren’t at the sprints, I don’t think we’d need to do then. FWIW, we should not have it at the same time as the language summit since there’s definitely an overlap in the audience there.

1 Like

The language summit is May 1, and the conference starts May 3. It might make sense to do something May 2? Not everyone will be there, and a lot of people left that blank on the sheet, so it’s hard to know how many exactly, but starting to talk earlier has the advantage that then conversations and followups can continue through the week, instead of having to cram everything into a day or two of sprints…

1 Like

Lots of real life (and travel) happened since that morning. :slight_smile:

I just sent the CTA to distutils-sig.

Please do feel free to add to that thread, if I’ve missed some detail or made a mistake.

I’m planning to update OP on the “topic suggestions” Topic now (yay naming) to incorporate Brett’s moderation note and a suggestion for creating new threads for discussing specific suggestions if needed.

The typing summit is on 2nd from 1pm, so let’s try to avoid clash with that if possible.

Should we do a short meeting, after the keynote on day 1, to get everyone to see each other’s faces?

I think that also helps start early and gives us some more time to discuss and think about things than just the 1-2 days.

1 Like

Do we think there will be a lot overlap between key typing folks and key packaging folks? Literally every moment during pycon week will clash with some kind of exciting python thing, that’s why they call it pycon :slight_smile: I don’t think there’s any alternative except to accept that people are busy and some people will miss things. One advantage of starting things early is that it leaves more time for folks who do miss it to hear what happened and followup.

Personally, I’m actually not sure how much time I’ll have for packaging during the sprints; I’m trying to prioritize Trio, and if a lot of people show up for that I might end up there instead of in the packaging room…

Based on who I know is in the two groups there’s very little overlap (if any).

I’m attending the typing one, and would like to do the packaging one too, but feel free to go ahead without me. As long as someone writes some summary I can catch up.