PyCon US Packaging Mini-Summit 2019

Yep. I’m suggesting the meeting to be on the first day of sprints like last year.

It might make sense to have it on the first day of the conference as well though, I’ve not seen the Google Sheet lately (and it’s refusing to open on my phone right now) so unless we have a lot of interested folks who aren’t at the sprints, I don’t think we’d need to do then. FWIW, we should not have it at the same time as the language summit since there’s definitely an overlap in the audience there.

1 Like

The language summit is May 1, and the conference starts May 3. It might make sense to do something May 2? Not everyone will be there, and a lot of people left that blank on the sheet, so it’s hard to know how many exactly, but starting to talk earlier has the advantage that then conversations and followups can continue through the week, instead of having to cram everything into a day or two of sprints…

1 Like

Lots of real life (and travel) happened since that morning. :slight_smile:

I just sent the CTA to distutils-sig.

Please do feel free to add to that thread, if I’ve missed some detail or made a mistake.

I’m planning to update OP on the “topic suggestions” Topic now (yay naming) to incorporate Brett’s moderation note and a suggestion for creating new threads for discussing specific suggestions if needed.

The typing summit is on 2nd from 1pm, so let’s try to avoid clash with that if possible.

Should we do a short meeting, after the keynote on day 1, to get everyone to see each other’s faces?

I think that also helps start early and gives us some more time to discuss and think about things than just the 1-2 days.

1 Like

Do we think there will be a lot overlap between key typing folks and key packaging folks? Literally every moment during pycon week will clash with some kind of exciting python thing, that’s why they call it pycon :slight_smile: I don’t think there’s any alternative except to accept that people are busy and some people will miss things. One advantage of starting things early is that it leaves more time for folks who do miss it to hear what happened and followup.

Personally, I’m actually not sure how much time I’ll have for packaging during the sprints; I’m trying to prioritize Trio, and if a lot of people show up for that I might end up there instead of in the packaging room…

Based on who I know is in the two groups there’s very little overlap (if any).

I’m attending the typing one, and would like to do the packaging one too, but feel free to go ahead without me. As long as someone writes some summary I can catch up.

It would be nice if you could avoid the maintainer summit on May 4th 10:15–2:35. There’s a lot of overlap in interests.

1 Like

For whatever it’s worth, I’m not going to be in on the 2nd until the evening, something like 6pm or so. Though it’s entirely reasonable to continue on without me.

1 Like

Are there any concerns with doing this? If nothing major is voiced, let’s do this.

Even if there are concerns, do it anyway. :wink: I would sign up for an open space called “Packaging Meet & Greet” or something.

3 Likes

For people that won’t be there for the sprints, would it be possible to call in remotely?

Let’s get together at an open space as early as possible on Day 1, ideally immediately after the keynote.

I’ll try to get to it myself, though if anyone reaches the open space board before me, please feel free to put up the card.

Remotely contributing to a sprint or to the discussion?

1 Like

Either. Both. Ideally the discussion. Sprint work can be organized with the subgroup in whatever way makes sense.

For people that won’t be there for the sprints, would it be possible to call in remotely?

Worst case, a Skype conference call? One person physically in the room could call in and put their phone on speaker.

Just a fair warning that i have never seen that work well due to these rooms lacking AV for that sort of thing and then someone trying to get by with their laptop mic and speakers.

2 Likes

It’s my experience that remote call-in have a significant (negative) impact to a face-to-face meeting, unless all participants know each other very well. I would strongly favour to keep the summit physical only (although that also precludes my own participation).

1 Like

I will not be around until early afternoon on the 3rd unfortunately :frowning: I would definitely prefer any summit-ing happen after that but I would be glad to set some time aside to meet those of you whom I haven’t already met – feel free to send me a message separately assuming the ‘intro’ summit is on the 2nd / morning of the 3rd and you’d like to chat before the main summit.

To summarize, there is an intro meet and greet after the first keynote? (Date/time?) And then the actual summit will be monday, 4/6, starting in the morning or something like that?

I will be joining in. My talk on Saturday is on related points focusing on security.

1 Like