Python 3.8.0a1 postponed for a week

Due to some scheduling conflicts between me and @nad, and the need for me to get some more onboarding, I decided to postpone the first alpha release until February 3rd 2019. Other dates remain unaffected.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

5 Likes

While we are talking Python 3.8… Would it be possible to land the PEP 572 implementation in Python 3.8.0a1? Guido van Rossum @guido and me approved the change written by Emily @emily:

I really want to see this change merged into master as soon as possible, to get enough time to play with it and discover any possible corner cases which might need to update the PEP and/or the implementation.

I just proposed to Emily to fix conflicts and merge the change if she is ok with that.

Or does anyone have a (good) reason to wait before merging this change?

2 Likes

I am happy to merge it as soon as the conflicts are resolved. It would be great to have it in alpha1 and actually a good reason to wait those few days for a1 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Emily’s code is more than ready for an alpha release! (And I mean that as high praise, not a back-handed compliment. :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

Love it or hate it, PEP 572 is a major change in Python 3.8 :wink:

2 Likes

s/major/minor/. It’s really not going to make much of a difference for most people most of the time. If you’re looking for examples of major changes, I’d say f-strings and async/await deserve that qualification much more.

6 Likes

@ambv While I have you, what do you think of PR #11645, my typed_ast merge back? Is it worth it for me to try and get it in shape for alpha 1? (I’m stuck on the parser module tests (test_parser.py) currently, but I’m sure that’ll take a few more hours at most if I put some effort into it.)

3 Likes

PEP 572 is officially merged! :tada:

15 Likes

W00t! Thanks Emily. I bet you hadn’t expected it to take this long.

1 Like

Yeah, let’s try merging this for alpha1.

Python 3.8.0a0 (heads/master:3bab40db96, Jan 25 2019, 10:11:29) 
[Clang 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> if (a := 3) == 4: print('yes')
>>> a

Rock on @emily!

9 Likes