RuntimeError: Failed to lock Pipfile.lock

hello, I am new to Django. While I was installing mysqlclient using the command Pipenv install mysqlclient, I get the error RuntimeError: Failed to lock Pipfile.lock. can you please help me out on solving this issue?

Hey it could be that another process is intefering with the lock… have you already activated the venv?

1 Like

Thank you very much for helping me on this.

yes i have acticated the venv as you can see below. but still i face the issue.

‘’’
chandanm@Chandans-MacBook-Air demo % pipenv shell
Launching subshell in virtual environment…
. /Users/chandanm/.local/share/virtualenvs/demo-IqFOio-m/bin/activate
chandanm@Chandans-MacBook-Air demo % . /Users/chandanm/.local/share/virtualenvs/demo-IqFOio-m/bin/activate
(demo) chandanm@Chandans-MacBook-Air demo % pipenv install mysqlclient
Installing mysqlclient…
Resolving mysqlclient…
Added mysqlclient to Pipfile’s [packages] …
:heavy_check_mark: Installation Succeeded
Pipfile.lock (e35515) out of date, updating to (537503)…
Locking [packages] dependencies…
Building requirements…
Resolving dependencies…
✘ Locking Failed!
⠴ Locking…False
ERROR:pip.subprocessor:Getting requirements to build wheel exited with 1
[ResolutionFailure]: File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/resolver.py”, line 645, in _main
[ResolutionFailure]: resolve_packages(
[ResolutionFailure]: File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/resolver.py”, line 612, in resolve_packages
[ResolutionFailure]: results, resolver = resolve(
[ResolutionFailure]: ^^^^^^^^
[ResolutionFailure]: File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/resolver.py”, line 592, in resolve
[ResolutionFailure]: return resolve_deps(
[ResolutionFailure]: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[ResolutionFailure]: File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/utils/resolver.py”, line 908, in resolve_deps
[ResolutionFailure]: results, hashes, internal_resolver = actually_resolve_deps(
[ResolutionFailure]: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[ResolutionFailure]: File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/utils/resolver.py”, line 681, in actually_resolve_deps
[ResolutionFailure]: resolver.resolve()
[ResolutionFailure]: File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/utils/resolver.py”, line 442, in resolve
[ResolutionFailure]: raise ResolutionFailure(message=str(e))
[pipenv.exceptions.ResolutionFailure]: Warning: Your dependencies could not be resolved. You likely have a mismatch in your sub-dependencies.
You can use pipenv run pip install <requirement_name> to bypass this mechanism, then run pipenv graph to inspect the versions actually installed in the virtualenv.
Hint: try $ pipenv lock --pre if it is a pre-release dependency.
ERROR: Getting requirements to build wheel exited with 1

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/bin/pipenv”, line 8, in
sys.exit(cli())
^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/vendor/click/core.py”, line 1157, in call
return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/cli/options.py”, line 58, in main
return super().main(*args, **kwargs, windows_expand_args=False)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/vendor/click/core.py”, line 1078, in main
rv = self.invoke(ctx)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/vendor/click/core.py”, line 1688, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/vendor/click/core.py”, line 1434, in invoke
return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/vendor/click/core.py”, line 783, in invoke
return __callback(*args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/vendor/click/decorators.py”, line 92, in new_func
return ctx.invoke(f, obj, *args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/vendor/click/core.py”, line 783, in invoke
return __callback(*args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/cli/command.py”, line 209, in install
do_install(
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/routines/install.py”, line 297, in do_install
raise e
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/routines/install.py”, line 281, in do_install
do_init(
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/routines/install.py”, line 648, in do_init
do_lock(
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/routines/lock.py”, line 65, in do_lock
venv_resolve_deps(
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/utils/resolver.py”, line 849, in venv_resolve_deps
c = resolve(cmd, st, project=project)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pipenv/utils/resolver.py”, line 718, in resolve
raise RuntimeError(“Failed to lock Pipfile.lock!”)
RuntimeError: Failed to lock Pipfile.lock! ‘’’

Aha let’s try this first based on that… we upgrade pip first and also the pipenv

python.exe -m pip install --upgrade pip

pip install --upgrade pipenv

Try that and lemme know

1 Like

Your formatting did not work as you intended.
Notice that the quote chars have been mangled.
You can edit you post to fix this.

2 Likes

Thanks again for responding. I did try to upgrade. it all seems to be upto date. but I still can’t solve the issue.

✘ Locking Failed!
⠏ Locking…False

RuntimeError: Failed to lock Pipfile.lock!

Try to lock it… pipenv lock --pre

1 Like

(demoproject) chandanm@Chandans-MacBook-Air demoproject % pipenv lock --pre
Building requirements…
Resolving dependencies…
:heavy_check_mark: Success!
Locking [dev-packages] dependencies…
Updated Pipfile.lock (0b5823de65ff0f5100b8f0fd7642f5000e8f2788c925cc51afe587d419e35515)!
(demoproject) chandanm@Chandans-MacBook-Air demoproject % pipenv install mysqlclient
Installing mysqlclient…
Resolving mysqlclient…
Added mysqlclient to Pipfile’s [packages] …
:heavy_check_mark: Installation Succeeded
Pipfile.lock (e35515) out of date, updating to (537503)…
Building requirements…
Resolving dependencies…
✘ Locking Failed!
⠴ Locking…False

still facing the same issue.

Aha can you clear the lock we remove cache

I tried. it failed. but what I noticed was when I try to install Django-debug-toolbar, it works fine without any error. but when I try to install mysqlclient using the command pipenv install mysqlclient, I get the error.

✘ Locking Failed!
⠴ Locking…False

I believe there might a an error in the mysqlclient package that I am trying to install.

Yeah i was checking the mysqlclient docs… even the maintainers don’t want to be disturbed… seems you’ll have to go the long route

If binary wheels do not exist for your version of Python, it may be possible to build from source, but if this does not work, **do not come asking for support.** To build from source, download the [MariaDB C Connector](https://mariadb.com/downloads/#connectors) and install it. It must be installed in the default location (usually "C:\Program Files\MariaDB\MariaDB Connector C" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\MariaDB\MariaDB Connector C" for 32-bit). If you build the connector yourself or install it in a different location, set the environment variable `MYSQLCLIENT_CONNECTOR` before installing. Once you have the connector installed and an appropriate version of Visual Studio for your version of Python:

got this from the mysql docs

1 Like

hiiiiiii… Kyle. it worked. what I did was, I tried to install the previous version of mysqlclient. that is pipenv install mysqlclient==2.1.1

and it worked. anyhow thank you very much for your response. it made me to learn more and to think. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

your help really means alot. … thanks again. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Hey that’s nice to hear…troubleshooting is a great skill… anytime chandan cheers.

1 Like

you will the first person, if I have any doubts. thanks for being here.