Soliciting feedback from a suspended member

[off topic]

You suspended Tim Peters for three months, and then you solicit feedback from him? That feels very hypocritical.

12 Likes

This was unsolicited. I just asked him if he’d be okay with me to posting anything from him on the topic and he suggested the quote above and said I could decide whether to post it or not.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Changing PEP 13 to adopt Bloc STAR voting

That is one of the meanings of “solicit”.

My point still stands:

• the SC suspended him from PSF spaces
  • then you, an SC member, asked him for feedback
  • which you then posted to a PSF space

In short, you are refusing to live by the decision that you made. I’m pretty sure that if a non-SC member did this, they’d be in trouble.

9 Likes

I see this differently. In my mind, the suspension means the person can’t engage with this group, and the group couldn’t engage with them.

What I see as Greg’s action is engaging offline, decided whether to include the quote as a whole or just part of it, in a sense a form of “moderation”, and shared just the content that Greg felt suitable for this forum, and as a courtesy, Greg gave proper credit to the person providing this quote, which is something I imagine Greg probably would do anyway if the person providing quote wasn’t suspended.

In this case, the suspension is still in place. The person can’t engage with us directly, we can’t engage with them. We have to do it through Greg, and it is up to Greg to decide whether to pass our comment or not.

7 Likes

I hope you meant “an SC member” and not Greg, specifically.

Thank you for sharing your point of view, but it does not change my perception.

4 Likes

I betcha that Tim wrote Greg because he received Greg’s mass mailing (which he admitted went to more people than it should have).

Greg then just asked Tim whether he was okay with posting that to Discourse.

FWIW Tim sent me the same feedback but I read it later.

6 Likes

No. I did not. Tim has emailed either the SC and some of us personally as individuals on his own, without being asked by any of us, with his opinion on subjects. That is unsolicited.

I considered that useful to be shared and asked him if he’d mind if I shared some of his words on this topic.

I’m pretty sure that if a non-SC member did this, they’d be in trouble.

That is simply not true.

3 Likes

I see. That was not clear to me from your original post. Thank you for the explanation.

7 Likes

A suspension of a member only means that the member cannot interact with the platforms anymore. This does not impose any kind of personal communication ban on interactions with the member by other group members.

I don’t know why people seem to believe that mentioning suspended members or communicating with them should not be allowed anymore.

Please stop spreading such FUD - it’s unhealthy for the group of core devs and also unhealthy for the our reputation in the wider Python community. Thanks.

17 Likes

If anyone can act as a proxy for that member, and post their thoughts and opinions, then what was the point of the suspension?

Agreed, and my apologies if I implied that.

As are perceived abuses of power.

5 Likes

To prohibit that person from interacting directly with the community spaces, because they have shown a lack of willingness to follow community codes of conduct.

Reporting the views of a suspended member, on an area where they are known to have expertise, while specifically not posting their exact words, and not posting CoC-violating statements, is hardly the same. And if someone did simply “act as a proxy”, then they too would get suspended.

There’s no power being abused here. Anyone could have done the same (assuming they were personally contacted by Tim) and would have been treated the same way (or are you suggesting that you wouldn’t have called this out if Greg hadn’t been on the SC?)

You misunderstood the situation as being one where Greg asked for feedback to post[1], but that misunderstanding has now been corrected. Can we let this drop, please?

1. which is less defensible, but still not prohibited under the terms of a suspension ↩

11 Likes

I am not suggesting that. I hold everyone, myself included, to the same standard (with a little patience for brand-new users).

I am happy to.

3 Likes