Syntax Error with modulus operation

#This is my first time practicing modulus operations and random choices, any tips would be appreciated, but the main concern is the syntax error on line 14

#even and odd numbers, bonus practice with random choices. NOTE: This is LINE 1
import random
#WELCOME. This program will ask for a number, and based on factors such as being even, odd, or divisible by 4,
#the number Emporium will generate wisdom to dispense to the user.
print(“Welcome to Eccentric Ethan’s NUMBER EMPORIUM!!!”)
print(“I will listen to you and give you my wisdom.”)
#Input gathering
userNum = int(input("Tell me your chosen number! "))

#Conditional responses to simulate wisdom/fortune telling
FourDivisibleWisdomList = [“eat 4 fruit today. It will keep your energy high to take advantage of your good fortune”, “challenge yourself today, you are sure to find success.”, “Find 2 pieces of jewelry to buy yourself today, they will prove useful to you in the future.”]

#Condition parameters
if userNum % 4 = 0: #LINE 14 - ERROR LINE
print("Your number is auspicious of good fortune. I would recommend you ", random.choice(FourDivisibleWisdomList))
elif userNum % 2 = 0:
print(“Your number represents dual natures. You may play things carefully or take a risk and reasonably suspect a fortuitous outcome.”)
else userNum % 2 != 0:
print(“Your number is tainted and seeks to curse you. Keep your food stores stocked, check for dangers in your home and appliances. Ignoring this omen may result in harm to you or your possessions.”)

#This is my first time practicing modulus operations and random
choices, any tips would be appreciated, but the main concern is the
syntax error on line 14

There should be a complete error message, please always paste that. It
may not point to the exact problem, but it will point to the place where
Python noticed the problem.

Glancing at your code:

if userNum % 4 = 0: #LINE 14 - ERROR LINE
print("Your number is auspicious of good fortune. I would recommend you ", random.choice(FourDivisibleWisdomList))
elif userNum % 2 = 0:
print(“Your number represents dual natures. You may play things carefully or take a risk and reasonably suspect a fortuitous outcome.”)
else userNum % 2 != 0:
print(“Your number is tainted and seeks to curse you. Keep your food stores stocked, check for dangers in your home and appliances. Ignoring this omen may result in harm to you or your possessions.”)

I would suspect the “elif” line. It should be at the same indent as the
“if” above and “else” below. Instead it is indented level with the
print() calls.

Python may be complaining about the indent in the context of the “if”
(line 14), I haven’t checked. But the “elif” is definitely incorrectly
indented, and that would be the first change I would make.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

You are using one =, which means assignment: you’re asking Python to make userNum % 4 be zero (which it can’t do), and you’re doing it in an if statement (which is also not possible).

For comparison (asking if userNum % 4 is zero), use == rather than =.