"too similar" error with namespace project

I am developing a library and want to release it on PyPI. It worked fine when I published part of the project under the name ‘pygim-common,’ but when I tried to release the ‘master’ project as ‘pygim,’ it failed because the names are too similar.

Background:
I intend to use ‘pygim’ as the entry point for all other projects and ‘pygim-common’ as the main shared package with all other namespace projects. I understand that ‘pygim’ and ‘pygim-common’ have some similarities in their names, but how do I deal with this? I want it to be possible to install the main project by running ‘pip install pygim,’ which installs the common package at the same time, as well as the associated command-line interface later on.

Any ideas how to solve this?

It’s probably too similar to pygmy, the names “pygim” en “pygmy” are close enough that I’d expect the typo-squatting protection kicks in.

Thanks for your response! Is there a way to be sure? Twine doesn’t seem to give any details on this.

Unfortunately the exact details of the typo-squatting protection aren’t public, because if they were then typo-squatters would immediately exploit them to find any gaps.

It’s pretty public: we use this function.

The issue here is that pygim conflicts with http://pypi.org/p/pyglm.

File an issue here and we’ll very likely be able to release this for you.

2 Likes

oh nice, thanks for the correction!

File an issue here and we’ll very likely be able to release this for you.

Thanks for your help!