Tool to build a RPM package backed by PEP 517

Moving from PEP 610 usage guidelines for Linux distributions.

This thread is intended to be used as a canonical location to point users to when asked about building a RPM package without a setup.py.

Background

Traditionally, Python packages are built as a RPM package by running setup.py. The Python packaging community, however, is steadily moving away from relying on setuptools as a first-order tool, promoting instead to use wheels as the primary exchange artifact format, and PEP 517 as a way to build them. This enables Python projects to use alternative packaging tools while maintaining interoperability of their artifacts, and there is a visible trend for Python projects to not include a setup.py as a result. (See: Which mainstream projects removed setup.py files?) And even for a setuptools-based project, the recommendation is still to build a wheel using setuptoolsā€™s PEP 517 hooks, instead of invoking setup.py directly.

Building for RPM

Meanwhile, however, RPM packaging tools are still catching up to this new trend. Fedoraā€™s official guidelines, for example, still instructs using setup.py directly. Developer from Fedora are working on a provisional implementation, pyproject-rpm-macros, to provide tooling to build a PEP 517 project using the pyproject.toml build tool definition, as specified in PEP 518. This provides a solution to build a RPM package from a Python project that does not contain a setup.py, and also a migration path to move off invoking setup.py directly if a Python project has declared itself as using PEP 517, to better ensure the resulting RPM package has the same behaviour as the Python package installed as a wheel.

Note that those are Fedora guidelines, not general RPM guidelines. E.g. openSUSE has their own ā€“ possibly also using setup.py behind the macros.

While it is true that Red Hat is my employer, Iā€™d rather say ā€œDevelopers from Fedoraā€. We donā€™t name Python developers based on the company that pays them. We also have contributions from people not employed by Red Hat. Thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks @hroncok, Iā€™ll edit the top post accordingly.

Note that pyproject-rpm-macros are late alpha and may still change.
If you want to use them, please subscribe to Fedoraā€™s python-devel list; thatā€™s where we discuss and announce changes.

1 Like

Any progress on this? Iā€™m trying to move my package to use hatchling, but what is stopping me is that I havenā€™t found a way to build an rpm (to replace python3 setup.py bdist_rpm)

In the case of Django at least, redistributors do not use that and Fedora explicitly recommends against using their RPM unless developing a package specific to their ecosystem.

I donā€™t think the community uses that command anymore.

1 Like

The current Fedora Python Packaging Guidelines use the aforementioned pyproject-rpm-macros.

I had seen that, but Iā€™m still missing some pieces.
The Packaging Guidelines assume a starting point of a .spec file. Python setup.py bdist_rpm would build the spec file, so that nothing additional to setup.py was needed.

Is there a means to generate a .spec file from a pyproject.toml file than can then be used with normal rpm tools, like was possible with bdist_rpm. Are we expected
to build a spec file as a starting point, and maintain it in parallel to the pyproject.toml?

Not that I would know of.

for what itā€™s worth, I have pip packaging fine, and use the debian integration (which is excellent) for debian and ubuntu and friendsā€¦ the purpose of the rpm packaging is for linux distributions that use that natively. So I think itā€™s the right tool for that job.

OK, so put together a fedora 39, and built a spec file working to the guidelines above.
Now I need to install on Redhat Enterprise 8 and nothing worksā€¦ everything is too oldā€¦
hatchling doesnā€™t even install, none of the pep macros are there, itā€™s python 3.6ā€¦
Since hatchling doesnā€™t install, the build is brokenā€¦

have to support multiple OS versions at the same timeā€¦ any possibility
of backport support to python 3.6ā€¦ or should I be using a different build tool?

Thatā€™s not surprising. RHEL 8 is based on a Fedora that was released 5 years ago.

However, you can choose to use Python 3.11 on it ā€“ but not all the other Python packages exist for it there.

Anyway, the approach described in the Fedora packaging guidelines works on Fedora, not ancient RHELs. It works on RHEL 9 today, but it is quite possible that when you read this post in 2028, this is no longer true.

I have no idea what are you trying to do. If you are trying to target Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHELā€¦ maybe you should use wheels?

I do produce wheels, itā€™s on pypi.org, it installs the ā€œnormalā€ way. This thing I package is more of a system utility, than an application. I work in a systems support group, so clients expect the package to be part of the operating system, rather than something they configure. so the client expectation is for it to ā€œbe there.ā€ in /usr/binā€¦ On ubuntu, for many years, this was literally automatic. I have a PPA on launchpad, and the debian ecosystem deals seamlessly with it. But then we migrated some clusters to RHEL.

These are IBM supercomputer clusters with vendor support. The ā€œcurrentā€ OS there is RHEL8. RHEL8 is still getting maintenance releases, with 8.10 scheduled for next year, and another 5 years of support after that. Similarly ubuntu 18.04, is also python 3.6 and is expected to remain supported until 2028.

These 10 year life spans are sort of normal in the industrial/scientific realm.

For Python 3.6 why not just use setup.py?

Running setup.py might be deprecated in newer Python/setuptools versions but if you want to target older versions then you might need to use the older ways of doing things. PEP 517 based tools sort of start from Python 3.7 so if you need to straddle Python 3.6 through to 3.12 then the simplest solution is just to use a setuptools-based setup.py as you presumably already are/were. You can still add a pyproject.toml to be used in newer versions but you would still need to run setup.py directly on Python 3.6 when making wheel/sdist.

That doesnā€™t really change the situation: Fedora will nearly always be
ā€œtoo newā€ (glibc versions, etc) for a binary built there to have any
promises on systems that have a many year older baseline. The model for
decades has been to pick an unofficial ā€œlowest common denominatorā€ for
your build - which in your case would be EL 8, or to bundle the
necessary support bits, which is what happens when you build a wheel
against manylinux.

For what itā€™s worth, 3.6 would support twine 3.8.0, build 0.9.0 and Setuptools 59.6.0. This should be enough to build wheels following the PEP 517/518/621 standards (IIRC the minimum Setuptools version specified for Pip to use as the ā€œdefaultā€ backend is 40.8).

Hey, Iā€™d like to share a few things:

1. Many downstreams are explicitly against the package projects making their own spec files, but if you want to test them upstream, you kinda need those.
  2. Thereā€™s a project called Packit that is specifically targeting upstreams, providing them with a CI/CD infra for making and testing RPMs, with some automation for sending them upstream later on.
  3. Generating a spec file is sometimes done with Jinja2, when people want to make physically different files for different targets; I do this in another way ā€” one spec file, with conditionals/params.

I have a rather complicated example to show, maybe itā€™ll be helpful for you:

1. the spec file: https://github.com/ansible/pylibssh/blob/2897acd/packaging/rpm/ansible-pylibssh.spec
  2. the Packit config: https://github.com/ansible/pylibssh/blob/2897acd/.packit.yml
  3. CI/CD building RPMs: https://github.com/ansible/pylibssh/blob/2897acd/.github/workflows/ci-cd.yml#L1330-L1647

Note, that using UBI and centos stream often requires adding external repos like EPEL or linking RPMs for some deps. Ideally, those RPM deps would need to be added to the upstream repos. In case of UBI, thereā€™s a limited number of things in the default repo without a subscription.

@uranusjr could to add https://packit.dev to the summary in your original post?

P.S. @petersilva oh and I wanted to point out that there was no support for the PEP 517 in-tree build backend that our project implemented at the time (pip was too old, no build), so I just included the corresponding tarballs from PyPI in the SRPM and made use of them during the build. So vendoring such artifacts is sometimes an acceptable workaround for lacking build deps in the distro repos. Only use this approach for things that are absent from the distro.

I just wanted to thank you for the example. It sounds reasonable, but a bit hard to follow.
It will take me a while to digest and try out, but it looks helpful.

1 Like

Have the same problem the python package inquirer had a setup.py at v2.6.3 and we used to build that to a RHEL rpm with python3 setup.py bdist_rpm
Latest v3.1.4 no longer has a setup.py just a pyproject.toml so weā€™re hitting the same issue

hi folks, as an update. Iā€™ve done a few versions since producing a hatchling pyproject.toml, and this is what Iā€™ve settled on. I need to support ubuntu 18, and redhat 8 which both have python3.6, and ubuntu20 does not quite work with hatchling either. so I keep a separate branch for older OSā€™s where I remove pyproject.toml, and edit debian/control to remove the modern debian packaging dependencies.

So on older platforms I build using setup.py, and using setup.py I use bdist_rpm which builds an RPM that doesnā€™t do dependencies properly, and I advise users about how to separately install the dependencies. I just gave up on proper dependencies.

On ubuntu 22.04, and fc39, the hatchling stuff works well, and I have a spec file to build my own RPMS just fine (with good dependencies.)

Iā€™ll keep using parallel branches until OS/platforms that require setup.py go away.