Trying to install pyqt6_tools

Hello all!
I’m a new user to python and I’ve been trying to install pyqt6_tools and i received this error message.
× Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.

here is my log

C:\Users\kikio>pip install pyqt5-tools
Collecting pyqt5-tools
  Using cached pyqt5_tools-5.15.9.3.3-py3-none-any.whl.metadata (8.3 kB)
Collecting click (from pyqt5-tools)
  Using cached click-8.1.7-py3-none-any.whl.metadata (3.0 kB)
Collecting pyqt5==5.15.9 (from pyqt5-tools)
  Using cached PyQt5-5.15.9-cp37-abi3-win_amd64.whl.metadata (2.2 kB)
INFO: pip is looking at multiple versions of pyqt5-tools to determine which version is compatible with other requirements. This could take a while.
Collecting pyqt5-tools
  Using cached pyqt5_tools-5.15.4.3.2-py3-none-any.whl.metadata (8.3 kB)
Collecting pyqt5==5.15.4 (from pyqt5-tools)
  Using cached PyQt5-5.15.4.tar.gz (3.3 MB)
  Installing build dependencies ... done
  Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
  Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) ... error
  error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> [26 lines of output]
      pyproject.toml: line 7: using '[tool.sip.metadata]' to specify the project metadata is deprecated and will be removed in SIP v7.0.0, use '[project]' instead
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python312\Lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pyproject_hooks\_in_process\_in_process.py", line 353, in <module>
          main()
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python312\Lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pyproject_hooks\_in_process\_in_process.py", line 335, in main
          json_out['return_val'] = hook(**hook_input['kwargs'])
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python312\Lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pyproject_hooks\_in_process\_in_process.py", line 152, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
          whl_basename = backend.build_wheel(metadata_directory, config_settings)
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-1_bpb9_v\overlay\Lib\site-packages\sipbuild\api.py", line 46, in build_wheel
          project = AbstractProject.bootstrap('wheel',
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-1_bpb9_v\overlay\Lib\site-packages\sipbuild\abstract_project.py", line 92, in bootstrap
          project.setup(pyproject, tool, tool_description)
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-1_bpb9_v\overlay\Lib\site-packages\sipbuild\project.py", line 587, in setup
          self.apply_user_defaults(tool)
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-teqfqvrc\pyqt5_89cbee3b488b4762b9e1ee78eb3487d7\project.py", line 63, in apply_user_defaults
          super().apply_user_defaults(tool)
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-1_bpb9_v\overlay\Lib\site-packages\pyqtbuild\project.py", line 51, in apply_user_defaults
          super().apply_user_defaults(tool)
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-1_bpb9_v\overlay\Lib\site-packages\sipbuild\project.py", line 237, in apply_user_defaults
          self.builder.apply_user_defaults(tool)
        File "C:\Users\kikio\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-1_bpb9_v\overlay\Lib\site-packages\pyqtbuild\builder.py", line 50, in apply_user_defaults
          raise PyProjectOptionException('qmake',
      sipbuild.pyproject.PyProjectOptionException
      [end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
error: metadata-generation-failed

× Encountered error while generating package metadata.
╰─> See above for output.

note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
hint: See above for details.`

System OS Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-12600K, 3700 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product: PRO Z690-A DDR4(MS-7D25)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.8 GB

Only installing this because I received this error when installing my GFX

thank you!

The log shows that you are trying to install pyqt5-tools, which is different. You should make sure of what you’re installing, and why you’re installing it.

What does “installing my GFX” mean, and why should it have anything to do with Python at all?

Windows doesn’t come with Python, and hardware drivers etc. are generally designed to work without expecting Python to be there at all.

Installing a Python library will almost never have anything to do with any details about your system hardware like this. Generally, the most likely cause for this kind of installation failure is that your Python version is not supported. This can often be because it is too new, as well as too old.

The library maintainer for both pyqt5-tools and pyqt6-tools posts here: @altendky might know more. But in general, if you are having trouble installing a specific library (and installing other libraries works fine) you should start with the documentation for that library, and then look at the issue tracker. In this case it looks like pyqt5-tools and pyqt6-tools are both built out from the same codebase, and there are already reports on the issue tracker, such as the most recent one, that look like the exact issue here.

There are a lot of topics here, as Karl pointed out. But, the key, as they also noted, is that you are installing Radeon drivers which almost certainly do not relate to the Python re-packaging of the Qt tools that I put together. Though yes, users of pyqt-tools have certainly run into the same error message various times. :]

I would suggest you either contact Radeon support or check around in related forums. Best of luck!

Cheers,
-kyle

pyqt5_tools only supports python v 3.5-3.9. I knew my tutorial had to go back to Python 3.9 to use this. Check the docs here. pyqt5-tools · PyPI

pyqt6_tools only supports Python v3.5-3.9. Check the docs here. pyqt6-tools · PyPI

Install and configure Python 3.9.

When you get an error check the Python version supported at https://pypi.org.

Also learn to use virtual environments using virtualenv. Docs are here. User Guide - virtualenv Here are the basic steps without an IDE using Windows cmd.exe:

1. Make your project subdirectory. Call it proj1.
  2. cd proj1
  3. Type virtualenv .venv to make the virtual environment.
  4. Make the virtual env active: .venv\scripts\activate.
  5. Start editing your Python files.