Unable to decode SSL msg_callback certificate data

I am using undocumented ssl msg_callback to log certificate error informations on TLS connection. This way I can know if the certificate is revoked, expired or unknown before the connection is refused.
I would like to add certificate common name in my logs.

I added the callback like this :

def TlsCallback(conn, direction, version, content_type, msg_type, data):
    info = (conn, direction, version, content_type, msg_type, data)
    sys.stdout.write(f"TLS : {info!r}\n")

context = ssl.SSLContext(ssl.PROTOCOL_TLS_SERVER)
context._msg_callback = TlsCallback

At some point I get the client certificate through the callback, which printed output is :
TLS : (<ssl.SSLSocket fd=4, family=2, type=1, proto=0, laddr=(‘192.168.10.2’, 443), raddr=(‘192.168.10.2’, 60264)>, ‘read’, <TLSVersion.TLSv1_3: 772>, <_TLSContentType.HANDSHAKE: 22>, <TLSMessageType.CERTIFICATE: 11>, b"\x0b\x00\x01\x00\x0 …")
The last field is my data which is the certificate but it has additionnal bytes at the beginning and at the end.

Can someone tell me where I can find informations about the trailing bytes and how many I should remove to keep only the certificate ? I see the number varies between different certificates and I can’t find the certificate lenght in the data

You could try reading the sources of python, openssl, etc to see what is going on.
I find when working on this cert stuff that helps a lot.
We found we needed to use pyopenssl to do the sort of things you are doing.

Also try saving the certificate data into a file and try using the openssl x509 command on the data to see what it might be. The file command may also gives you a clue.